Physical education levels

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Morgan0210

Physical education levels

Post by Morgan0210 »

Hi,
Anyone help what level should a year 7 be in physical education ? Just recieved my dd level report and bit confused with the pyhysical education level!
Tinkers

Re: Physical education levels

Post by Tinkers »

I wouldn't worry too much. My dd was given different levels for different activities. Ranging from 3a to 5a.
Azure

Post by Azure »

If they get rid of SATS levels for anything it should be PE. My DC are healthy, walk everywhere but are not not not sporty and find much sports dull. They know they are not sports nuts. Giving them a level will depress them :(
Morgan0210

Post by Morgan0210 »

Thanks for replies, my dd was given level 3c she's quite sporty and had previously participated In lots of sporting activities in primary school and outsidr clubs hence why I was bit miffed :?
erisindevon

Post by erisindevon »

My dd's target level for PE in Y7 was 5.5. It was the only target she didn't meet by the end of the year.... but in Y8 the bar has been raised to 6.5!!!

I agree that levels for PE are pretty depressing for some kids - dd is fit and healthy - she does martial arts and a few others things, but she's not classically sporty. They've been put in sets for PE this year, and she's in the lower group...
Azure

Post by Azure »

Set for pe :o ?? I now prepare my kids (mentally) :lol: Thisis awful :(
erisindevon

Post by erisindevon »

Azure wrote:Set for pe :o ?? I now prepare my kids (mentally) :lol: Thisis awful :(
I was a bit shocked when dd told me, but actually, she finds it a bit of a relief. She no longer feels quite as slow and/or hopeless when playing team sports - it boosts her confidence to be less conspicuous. In set 2, she's middle-to-top, instead of last-to-be-picked.

I suppose it's the same principle for sports as for any academic subject really - it obviously depends on personal motivation style, but I'd always prefer to feel I could reach the top in a lower set than constantly struggling to keep up in the top group :)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I known of another school that sets for PE. This would be fine if they changed sets dependent on the activity they were doing, but they don't. In my DDs case she can't play tennis or badminton very well, so scores low, but average at netball and hockey, excellent at gymnastics and dance. As for her overall level, it's an average of the lot, although unfortunately they missed the assessment lesson for dance, so she never got assigned a level in the activity she would have scored highest in.
I'm Glad her school doesn't set, unless they change setting for everything, where would they put her?

She isn't an overly sporty girl either, but does do dance and riding outside of school, and she can walk for miles.

As for giving them levels and targets, seems daft to me.

As I said originally (short reply then as I was walking home from work) don't worry about it, more importantly don't let your children worry about it either.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS2's first interim assessment for Physical Education is a 4b (as far as I can remember) and his effort grade - surprisingly :lol: - is good. The upper quartile is 4b and the lower quartile is 4b, so unless there are a lot of 6a lurking in the top group just below the? , he would appear to be fairly average. In cross country there are (a few)boys just completing their second lap as he is completing his third, just as there are (more!) boys completing their third lap just as he is completing his second. If they did swimming, DS2 would get better marks for both attainment and effort!

ETA: I was wrong - DS2 and his fellow year 7s are obviously sportier than I thought - for '4b' read '4a' in all cases above :lol: .
Last edited by ToadMum on Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

DS had a variety of levels across last year from 4c to 6a and it all depended upon which sport they were doing in the months before. So when he did swimming and gymnastics he got high scores, when he had to play basketball he got low scores. This is a boy whom when we took him to a fun football class during the holidays, several times, just could not kick a ball. One time DH collected him and the realisation happened, DS was never going to be like him and be any good at football.

So in my view and backed up by the GS don't worry about the scores.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now