Letter from foundation office about Pupil Premuim

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mimossa

Letter from foundation office about Pupil Premuim

Post by mimossa »

I've just received a letter today from the foundation office.
It states " many children qualifying for Pupil Premuim have achieved over and above qualifying scores. Therefore not all children qualifying for Pupi Premium will be offered a place as more children qualified as they are places".
Jazz-UK

Re: Letter from foundation office about Pupil Premuim

Post by Jazz-UK »

Thanks mimosa, we'll wait to see the effect this has on overall pass marks.
succeed

Post by succeed »

tbh, it just sounds like a standard letter to ward off the parents labouring under the misapprehension that their child will get a place just based on their PP status alone.
um

Post by um »

I am glad that they have sent the letter as the initial letter sent in mid-October, was, in my opinion, confusing.

Combating misinformation is always incredibly difficult - I still know parents who are convinced that the grammar schools offer sibling priority, or offer places to children from independent schools first. Neither of these are true, of course.

Placing a copy of their Q&A on this matter into the envelopes in October, would have been very useful: http://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk/ ... licy-faqs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have spoken to a significant number of parents who did not even know that the 'qualifying mark' related to PP children and mistakenly thought that their child, on 203, for example, would now have KE Five Ways place - when they were not even PP eligible in any case. Sadly this will have led in some cases to 'false' celebration and a lack of knowledge/understanding of the options available before the CAF forms were completed.

There are also parents whose children are eligible for PP and they in many cases believe that their child will definitely have a school place if they have achieved the 'qualifying mark'.

I have tried to explain before on the forum that this is not necessarily the case - 20% of places (25% in the case of KE Aston which already has almost 20% PP pupils in any case) will be awarded to PP pupils in order of score until that percentage is filled. Some of these PP pupils will have achieved very high scores and would have received a place in any case.

The qualifying mark is merely there to explain that even if a school does not fill its 20% quota, it will still not offer a place to a PP child below that mark.
peter5

Post by peter5 »

@UM ,are you interpreting the letter that a child on who scored 280 and is on pupil premium would be ticked off as a pupil premium place being filled? It surely would make very little sense to include pupils who were already qualified, in this program.
Hope the schools can clarify that this is not the case as this would be contrary to what the program is supposed to be doing.

I am understanding the letter to mean that only the highest scoring" pupil premium applicants" will get places and that does not include pupils who would have been qualified otherwise.
KenR

Post by KenR »

peter5 wrote:@UM ,are you interpreting the letter that a child on who scored 280 and is on pupil premium would be ticked off as a pupil premium place being filled? It surely would make very little sense to include pupils who were already qualified, in this program.
Hope the schools can clarify that this is not the case as this would be contrary to what the program is supposed to be doing.

I am understanding the letter to mean that only the highest scoring" pupil premium applicants" will get places and that does not include pupils who would have been qualified otherwise.
Your interpretation is incorrect

It doesn't work that way - 20% PP places are allocated top down. There could be many PP candidates with very high scores which will be allocated first.

http://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk/ ... HRES-2.jpg

http://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk/ ... licy-faqs/
peter5

Post by peter5 »

@Kenr I have read it .This does give people false hope and is not as fair as it proposed to be.How many students last year or the years before who got in were on pupil premium?
Seems these schools are using this pupil premium thing for their advantage rather than giving disadvantage students a chance.
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Not quite fair. Five Ways is aiming to raise their percentage of PP pupils from circa 6% to 20%.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

peter5 wrote:@Kenr I have read it .This does give people false hope and is not as fair as it proposed to be.How many students last year or the years before who got in were on pupil premium?
Seems these schools are using this pupil premium thing for their advantage rather than giving disadvantage students a chance.
Absolutely. Let no one be fooled into thinking this is about the schools wanting to be more inclusive - its all about the money that comes with PP children.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Having read all the links i just wonder if the cutoff score for the 20% (or KEA 25%) PP places will actually be quite high, leaving a lot feeling a bit misled by the use of qualifying score terms etc. I suppose after the first year at least the figures will be available to inform people
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now