Total grammar exam entrants

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
concernedCheltmum

Total grammar exam entrants

Post by concernedCheltmum »

Does anyone know how many children took the exam this year in total (across all the grammar schools?)
If no-one knows that figure, does anyone know the number for any individual school? I thought it might be helpful to those of us who aren't definitely "in" somewhere to have some idea of the total pool of applicants/passes (yes I know these figures are two totally different elements).
Any info anyone? Entrants/passess/school place numbers that can be filled?
Thanks
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

These figures are based on what other parents have said regarding how many were at the tests-so please do not take these as gospel but purely as a rough indication!

Pates-approx 750 took test for 120 places
Tommies-letter stated approx 260 took test for 112 places
Crypt-parents said there were roughly 250 boys there for 112 places
Sorry don't know any figures for the girls schools or for Stroud-maybe someone else could fill in?

Again,please can I reiterate that I have no "inside" knowledge-just what I have gathered from other parents etc.

Gloucestermum
proud mum x 2

how many took tests

Post by proud mum x 2 »

hi, yes we agree with glos mum, at Pates we worked it out roughly by counting how many groups gathered with how many kids in each- and we reckoned about 750-800 don't konw about the others sorry, best wishes
concernedCheltmum

Post by concernedCheltmum »

Thank you. I understand that Ribston have "passed" over 240, so that means more than that must have at least put it as an option on the form.

Regarding the numbers - that's a lot of children. Is it more than for previous years, as predicted?

Post by Guest »

sorry i don't really know - I think 700 is a normal sort of amount. regards
Orson

Total grammar entrants

Post by Orson »

The numbers may seem high but, against all predictions, they are not higher than usual. In previous years Pates has had almost 1000 entrants and other schools around 400.

Orson
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I was wondering if there were going to be a higher number of entries this year - parents thinking 'nothing to loose, may as well enter'. On reflection though, there is something to gain, and that's the stress of taking the exam and waiting for the result - so that may be why there are no more entries than usual.
Capers
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

I think the difference this year will be as a result of the change in the preference order of the schools. The fact the first preference system has been abolished means that parents will have nothing to lose by listing all the grammar schools first and then the local comp. In previous years parents would have been more cautious about putting the local comp so far down on the preference list especially not knowing whether their child has passed or failed the entrance exam for the grammar.

If your child had a "higher" score in the grammar school test then the new system will be of benefit; those with lower scoring passes will perhaps suffer as a result. It remains to be seen on 4 March!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now