AQA GCsE music and singing requirement

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Azure

AQA GCsE music and singing requirement

Post by Azure »

Can anybody tell me if AQA is well-respected exam board for music? And singing is a requirement. DC has not a good voice but loves music will this be a problem? He is grade 5 but never got merit or distinction - always misses. merit by a couple of marks. Will this stop him from getting A or A*? Do I get singing lessons for him?

Thank you :)
Guest55

Re: AQA GCsE music and singing requirement

Post by Guest55 »

Students have to do some practical - any instrument, including voice.

GCSE is around grade 4/5 for top marks - there might be a requirement to do lessons if you take GCSE.
Azure

Post by Azure »

Guest55 wrote:Students have to do some practical - any instrument, including voice.

GCSE is around grade 4/5 for top marks - there might be a requirement to do lessons if you take GCSE.
Yes I know. I ask if

1. AQA is good?
2. DC does lessons and is soon taking grade5 but never got merit or distinction. Will this mean not Aor A*?
3. DC cannot sing even he admits it. Does he have to do singing seriously for GCsE music? If so I must get him lessons so he is ok and not embarrassed?

Thank you
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All exam boards are fine.

Does he play another instrument? If so he can play that instead of singing - singing is not compulsory as I said.

Some schools make students take lessons in an instrument if they are taking GCSE music; he'll get feedback on the criteria for marking the practical.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/music/gcse/music-4270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

see page 12 of the specification for more detail.
Azure

Post by Azure »

Guest55 that us is so helpful, thank you. :D

I looked at the performing music section but no where can I see that you need 2instruments or 1and singing. Can you point me in that place?

Thank you.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need one instrument OR voice, so if he prefers not to sing he needs to play an instrument.
Azure

Post by Azure »

Yes I say he plays one instrument and taking grade 5 soon. That us enough then?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - sorry your post was not clear whether the exams he had taken were in singing or something else.
Azure

Post by Azure »

Yes sorry I'm not always so clear. Your link was so helpful and I will read it over my weekend. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now