Companies who help with School events

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2Girlsmum

Companies who help with School events

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Having recently been *ahem* encouraged to join our PA, and tasked with the job of encouraging local companies to donate/help with our school bazaar, I have been frankly surprised be the negative response.

Tiger, Sainsbury's, WH Smiths and Boots all asked for a letter with the school contact details, and said they would organise something. This was 3 weeks ago and the fair is on the 30th, which they know. Nothing has been forthcoming, not even a phone-call. Starbucks go on about how important helping the local community (including schools) is to them (http://www.starbucks.co.uk/customer-ser ... onsibility" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), but my experience was not good. I was told that they organised containers of freshly brewed coffee with cups. I phoned them a few days later and was told that the didn't do it, but call when the manager was in the following day. I called and was merrily told they could help, then was told the next day that they couldn't but to send an e-mail and they would see what they could do. This was on Friday and the following Monday they didn't call as promised, so I emailed them. Next day no answer, so I called head office, and received an e-mail minutes later from the branch saying they would help. They aren't a franchise but company owned, Is this normal, or am I just useless??! The best response was from Poundland, who were really nice, but needed at least a months notice, which I missed by 3 days....and

Has anyone experienced this when fundraising, or know of companies who help?
Peridot

Re: Companies who help with School events

Post by Peridot »

I think at our primary the most help and offers of donations have come from local independent businesses/restaurants etc rather than local branches of big companies like the ones you mention. Perhaps they value the potential local custom more than larger enterprises?
KB

Post by KB »

Yes, ditto and try to build up a relationship with them eg using them for staff meals out.

Its also a bad time of year with chains getting lots of requests. If you're likely to get the same job next year I'd try to get the committee to sanction an early start?
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Companies that parents in the school work for tend to be more generous if the parent approaches them directly. Put out a letter to the parents asking them if the companies they work for would be willing to donate, sounds like passing the buck a bit but I think you might get a better response.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I agree with Peridot - local firms seem more supportive but the local Supermarket might help if you approach them personally.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Local companies are your best bet I think. It is great advertising for them, and many want to involved in the community, they usually live in it too.

A local estate agent near us is very community minded and sponsors the local primary school summer and Christmas fairs, usually supplying a bouncy castle, amongst other things.

They have also sponsored our local Playstreet, paying the public liability insurance, supplying banners and this year have bought soft footballs, skipping ropes and stuff.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I tried lots of small companies too.... and managed two boxes of sweets, 3 paperback books by an unknown author, some cycle gloves......I wondered about trying where I usually shop, the miles away near our home. The girls do usually the local shops before and after school, and their purple uniforms are obvious. I know to ask Poundland next year, and hopefully Starbucks should be more straight forward:)
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

I know our 2 local supermarkets, both big names, are happy to support the school/Guides/Scouts etc but you have to provide a counter offer. In the past my DS went with his class (when he was Y6) to our local Asda and sang carols, they were allowed to take a bucket and they were then provided with a prize for the school fair. Both Asda and Morrisons alphabet allowed bag packing for Scouts and Guides, my DS Scouts were asked to come back and help the local store out by bag packing for the British Legion in the run up to Remembrance Day.

But I know that the majority of the prizes for the school fair comes from local business, generally those who have a connection with the school.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Tesco usually have a community person and will provide a voucher, or some goodies for a cake stall or the like.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Parents and Governors may have local links and it's a good idea to ask them as well for ideas.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now