The Sunday Times Schools League Tables 2014

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

salsa

The Sunday Times Schools League Tables 2014

Post by salsa »

Hi all,

Here is a link to the Sunday Times schools league tables. I know a school cannot be measured just by results, but some parents find these lists useful.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/Parent_Power/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The paper quotes 24 hour on line access only.
Last edited by salsa on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Re: The Sunday Times Schools League Tables 2014

Post by Guest55 »

You need a subscription to access this article.

Are the tables based on 2014 data?
salsa

Post by salsa »

I can access them from my phone. It's 24 hour access only without a subscription.
The paper only showed the top 200.
It reads "rankings based on 2014 examination results with A*-B grades at A-level double weighted"
Last edited by salsa on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, it says 2014 - the list for selective schools more or less follows how selective they are - largely (not entirely) the superselectives are at the top, which you might expect from their intake.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This will be unvalidated data at this stage ....
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

What's really impressive is the number of comprehensives achieving better results than selectives or semi-selectives.

Now isn't that the mark of really outstanding teaching, where you have a wide range of ability achieving fantastic results, rather than very bright pupils in the first place?
equilibro

Post by equilibro »

Middlesexmum wrote:Now isn't that the mark of really outstanding teaching, where you have a wide range of ability achieving fantastic results, rather than very bright pupils in the first place?
I would jump to no conclusions without knowing precisely how the numbers have been calculated, and how truly representative and comparable they actually are.
moved

Post by moved »

The tables are done on percentage of A* and then A*/A and then A*/A/B for A level and I can't remember the GCSE criteria but similar I suppose.
The problem being that if a child takes 1 or 2 A levels and gains 2A* that is 100%, unless the table is based on a minimum of three. I can't remember and no longer have access. Obviously, 2 A levels is not normally university entrance.

The DfE tables use points scored, so more A levels = more points without the highest grades.
The problem being that AAABBB = 660 and A*A*A = 400.
Certainly, our local grammars go for volume, 2 maths, physics, chemistry, (a fourth subject) and general studies, so those with double maths take 6 A levels and those without take 5.

Best to look at several tables each using different criteria to build up a better picture. The independent schools tend to take fewer A levels (3 is fairly standard or 4 with double maths) and therefore do better in the percentage of A* tables. As universities ask for 3/4 grades this would seem a sensible option.

Given the severe funding cuts to FE and sixth form, particularly with funding withdrawn for non-facilitating subjects we could see the demise of philosophy, etc. Hopefully, a reduction in the number of exams that our poor children are obliged to sit and get A*/A in all of them.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thank you moved for this explanation. So, if a school wants to be at the top of the DfE league table, they could get children to take more A levels even though they may not get high enough marks for their desired university?
So, you could get, say AAABBB and not A*A*A and not be accepted at the university you'd like to go?
moved

Post by moved »

Possibly, although the thought seems to be that the children are capable of taking 4/5 and general studies as they are in selective schools. I'm not convinced!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now