Reading School - transport from West Berkshire

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SLT

Reading School - transport from West Berkshire

Post by SLT »

Hi, having lurked on these forums for the past couple of years I have now registered as my son is now in year 5 so secondary options now becoming a bit more real. We live in West Berkshire, nearish to Newbury and are in the catchment for Reading School. However, wondered if there are any other parents out there also considering or are at Reading or Kendrick that live in West Berks and could give a bit of advice around travel options to and from Reading or Kendrick. Many thanks
Village Mum

Re: Reading School - transport from West Berkshire

Post by Village Mum »

I would also be interested in hearing replies on this question.

I think my daughter may have got into Kendrick this year and we live near Bradfield, so not too far from you possibly. I'm expecting to get the train from Theale, a short 10 minutes into Reading. We have done the walk from Reading to Kendrick and it seems like 10-15 minutes. It's quicker than you think.

But I would be interested in knowing how early a train other people catch - do they get the one that gets them there on time or the one earlier than that ? My choices get me into Reading at either 7.37 or 7.56 from Theale. But I'm nervous incase the later trains runs late.

Perhaps anyone west berkshire way might read and advise. We would probably use the same train SLT.

Thanks.
SLT

Post by SLT »

I think we will be getting the train from Thatcham, should that be the option which would pass through Theale. Quite nervous for son to do this from the start as he is used to a short walk or car trip to our local village school so also interested if there are car share options available.

:D
Village Mum

Post by Village Mum »

I understand how you are feeling. I'm worried for my slightly un road-wise daughter too !

But we are going to do some trial runs and for the first week I'm going to help her. I'm lucky that I work flexibly at home and can do this. So I will do the train journey with her initially and then back off so she does the walk the other end alone.

I've read a lot on these forums and I gather there are huge quantities of children that come into Reading station each day. Think it's the case of follow the red. Kendrick jumpers or green ones for abbey and suits for. Reading boys.

The problem I see with car sharing is the A4 ! Presumably you are familiar with the traffic that way into Reading? I think it's just one continuous queue all the way in. Have to do a trail run in traffic one day.
SLT

Post by SLT »

I have a little while yet before I need to really think about it, but certainly I have to factor in travel when we go about applying next year - so just trying to get ahead of things and see what other people do. Agree with you on the traffic problem, but have definitely seen Reading uniformed kids in and around our local area being dropped off by someone, so thought worth enquiring to see if some people do choose that option.
Village Mum

Post by Village Mum »

SLT. I would be interested in any replies you get to see what options are available.

Wishing you well.
SLT

Post by SLT »

And you too - let me know how it goes in practice when your daughter starts!! :)
Village Mum

Post by Village Mum »

Will do. I will be able to give you actual real feedback. Keep in touch. :D
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Loads of Kendrick and abbey girls, along with Reading boys use the train. We were told by the older sister of a girl in DDs class that getting lost on the way to school would be some sort of record.

On the odd days when they finish at lunchtime (end of term) I've sometimes met my DD in town for lunch, it's just a sea of red jumpers.

From West Berkshire, I suspect of you can get to a train station that's your best bet. I have friends in Beenham, and while they considered Kendrick and Abbey, they weren't sure how they would get there. Their DD is at St Helens and St Katherine's in Abingdon instead.

They do very quickly get used to getting themselves to school. From the station to school there are decent crossing points.

I'd aim for getting to school earlier rather than later. They can go into school straight I to their classrooms from 7:45, but anything after 8:25 is classed as late. The school is reasonably understanding if it's down to public transport issues, but not of parents are driving their girls to school. I certainly wouldn't drive into Reading and I only a couple of miles away. My daughter likes to get in earlier so she can sort out her stuff and talk to friends.
SLT

Post by SLT »

Thank you Tinkers. Sounds like train is the way to go. Abingdon schools do an excellent bus service throughout West Berkshire villages, so can understand why people choose that option. Also great to know that the school classrooms are open that early, that makes it a bit easier too.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now