Aiming for level 6 - what sort of work is being given?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Aiming for level 6 - what sort of work is being given?

Post by mystery »

Have you been told that your child is being prepared for level 6 papers? If so, what kind of work is being set in class and for homework? And if your school uses any maths schemes which part of which scheme is your child on?

I'm in the situation where I'm being told my child is being prepared for primary level 6 but the things she tells me about and the little bits of homework that come home are very sad offerings of level 4/low to medium level 5 most of the time I would have said. She's bored to tears.
Yamin151

Re: Aiming for level 6 - what sort of work is being given?

Post by Yamin151 »

I've replied to you above :)
Azure

Post by Azure »

I too have this dilemma. My DC has lots and lots and lots of photocopied homework but it seems so easy and I don't know how to help. :( I have looked at level 6 papers but not found many.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I'd definitely recommend the schofield and sims mental maths books for good exercise and challenging work. And the 'big brainz' times attack game, google it, its free and works like a tombraider platform game
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

Hi

If anyone knows please can you let me know which level Schofield and Sims equals level 6?

thank you :D
moved

Post by moved »

Primary maths challenge papers are excellent preparation for this test as they include a large amount of reasoning.
Then ensure that coordinates in four quadrants have been covered, some basic algebra, formulae, isometric drawing/3D visualisation, line graphs, probability, mean and volume.

There is possibly more, but that seems to cover the topics from the last few years.
moved

Post by moved »

Interestingly, all of the above with the exception of probability are now in the new primary NC.

I forgot the order of operations - BIDMAS!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thank you - that tallies with my thoughts too. Do you have any wise words on how I can get school to listen .... really what they are providing is way short of the mark and boring my DD to tears most of the time. It's the same for the whole top group I would think.

I've tried dropping hints but got nowhere.
Elibet

Post by Elibet »

mystery wrote:Have you been told that your child is being prepared for level 6 papers? ...
I'm in the situation where I'm being told my child is being prepared for primary level 6 but the things she tells me about and the little bits of homework that come home are very sad offerings of level 4/low to medium level 5 most of the time I would have said. She's bored to tears.
Not sure if the curriculum has changed, but here are the guidelines set by the government last year, with sample papers, etc. This webpage contains all the information the school is given on the subject, or so my child's Yr6 teacher told me at the time.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -materials" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently, the so-called Level 6 at KS2 is nowhere near a KS3 level 6. (there's a thread somewhere on this subject)

My DS was bored stiff too, Mystery, there wasn't anything new being taught, and he got a Level 6 at the end, which meant nothing.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

level 6 papers here:

http://www.emaths.co.uk/index.php?optio ... Itemid=506" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here are the 'old ones' (called Test C) if you scroll down:

Maybe look at the levelled materials on Kangaroo maths:

http://www.kangaroomaths.com/kenny3.php?page=KassessKS3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down for levelled materials.

Then, as moved says, look at the PMC questions and Nrich.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now