Which books to use.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2008exam

Which books to use.

Post by 2008exam »

Can anyone advise (parents of kids who passed their Slough & Langley)which books (CGP, AE, NFER etc) are most appropriate & similar to 11+. Are they useful for Reading grammar as well.
chad

Post by chad »

Both the slough consortium (Langley, Herschel & St Bernards) and Slough Grammar use an exam set by NFER - Multiple choice - VR, NVR & Maths

Have a look on the '11plus advice' on the home page(left hand side column)

This states:
If the board is NFER, then IPS & AFN provide good preparation books, as do the NFER papers themselves.
There are only 4 sets of NFER paper so these are good for nearer the time to see how the timing is going, but it is possible to use them in the beginning to see where there may be gaps in knowledge (espec Maths)

I believe this site also has papers that are very similiar to NFER and also offer some CD's (it can take the monotony out of aways doing the paper practice). Give them a ring they are always willing to advise.

I don't know about Reading Grammar but I am sure there will be someone around later to give you an idea....I think there was a post not so long ago that might help.

If you also look at 11+ regions (home page .. left hand column again) and click on Berkshire it will give you an overview.
Guest001

Post by Guest001 »

I think you should get some sort of tuition for 11+ candidates, unless you have loads of time yourself
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Reading Grammar sit Maths, English, English 20min written essay/description, and a reasoning paper (could be VR or NVR). All tests except The English written are MC. The maths is also an In-house paper.

We practised with IPS, NFER, and Bond for Maths and English. We also used Papers downloaded from this site and the Tutors Maths CD's again bought from this site.

HTH

BW

Post by Guest »

Thanks a lot for all the replies. I have just been doing bond papers with my son, need to buy NFER etc.
Regarding tution for 11+, I think I would rather prepare my son myself as I know what his strong & weak pionts are.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now