12+

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
onebigdilemma

12+

Post by onebigdilemma »

Hi

I have seen that some people who had children who unfortunately did not get into a grammar school in Year 7 try again for year 8.

I wondered if the children who were successful in year 8 struggled with the pace compared to a standard comprehensive school. I know at our local school Year 7 children do one language whereas at the grammar they do 3 (a term each I think), does this make it difficult?

It is not something I am looking at personally but wondered how children adjusted to another big change.
Guest55

Re: 12+

Post by Guest55 »

My DS did not find it a problem. He went straight into the top Maths set and had done two languages so was ok.

Some students who had only done one language were given additional help to catch up.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Not all Grammars do two languages in Y7. At my DSs they did one in y7and then picked up a second in y8. This school didn't have a 12+ as such but DC could join at any time where space was available. I prefer this approach as I think it is better to get a sound grasp of one than a smattering of three especially for those without.

I think apptitude has a greater impact than missing out on one term's study and this is not linked to ability in other areas.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DD failed the 11+ - respectable Maths and English sores but something rather disastrous on the VR paper, which unfortunately was 'double-weighted', so to speak. She was allocated a place at a comprehensive the other side of town that we hadn't even been to see. In terms of MFL, the comprehensive only offered French in year 7, adding Spanish in year 8 and the opportunity to add German later on, whereas at her hoped-for GS, she would have done French plus either German or Spanish from the outset . However, for Maths she had an excellent teacher who treated the top sets as if they were GS pupils and generally we had no complaints about the teaching and certainly not about DD's progress during the year.

Which obviously all helped when places became available at the GS right at the end of year 7, because she did well enough in the English / Maths / Science retest exam to be offered one of them. My request that if possible she should be placed in a 'German' form was granted and over the summer holidays I was able to get her sufficiently 'up to speed' in German for her to be regarded as one of the more able in the class at the beginning of year 8 :) . She is now in year 9 and in top sets for various subject, certainly not struggling.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
zohaa

Post by zohaa »

Hi, just bought the testbook 1 of non verbal reasoning (age 9-12 years) from ae publications. Am just wondering where can i get the explanations for the answers. Thank you
Last edited by zohaa on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kata girl

Post by Kata girl »

Hi new to forum as a poster but learned so much from the helpful regulars. Any tips on preparation for 12 + Bucks CEM would be much appreciated. Moved to Bucks last year - no tutoring - at last possible minute entered DD for 11+. She achieved a dismal score - not at all representative of her, given SATs results and ability generally. Have got wise and got her a tutor. Just thinking how do people get their DC to work fast through the papers without panicking ?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now