Help after 11+ in maths

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sutu123

Help after 11+ in maths

Post by sutu123 »

Hi all,
After 11+, what books would you suggest to buy for my DS to do. We do have Peter Robson 1-5 books. We really like these books. Like this which other books are there to help in maths for secondary school. Please help.
Guest55

Re: Help after 11+ in maths

Post by Guest55 »

I wouldn't worry; teachers at secondary will advise in time if additional support is needed.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I'd second that. We continued with maths tuition for a while but I think it was only beacuse we had got into the 11+ groove, where of course the maths is different in some cases from the curriculum, and certainly more challenging than what they were doing in KS2. Since starting year 7, both have had no trouble keeping up, even though maths not their favourite subject, this is mainly I think because the class concentrates on a maths subject for however long, rather than the jumping around that is needed for 11+. So, I'd watch and wait, and see how your child is at the end of the first term in Y7/parents evening, and asses then.
russet

Post by russet »

If they enjoy maths and want to do more, you could look at past questions on the Primary Maths Challenge papers, or, if they are already a little ahead, the UKMT Junior Maths Challenge (aimed at years 7 and 8). These don't necessarily teach new maths but will get them to think of how to apply the maths they already know.

There is also the nrich website for thinking through longer problems.
sutu123

Post by sutu123 »

Thank you all, once again.
moved

Post by moved »

If maths is an area of weakness then consolidate basic skills. Schofield and Simms are great for that. If maths is an area of strength then as above NRICH, primary maths challenge or some L6 papers. Reasoning skills would be of more value than more curriculum.