Cranial Osteopathy

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Cranberry

Cranial Osteopathy

Post by Cranberry »

Does anyone have any experience of using cranial osteopathy for their DC? I have been reading about it, and wondering if it's worth pursuing. Both mine had it as babies, and I was never sure whether it did any good or not-it's so hard to tell when they are so tiny! It seems a whole host of conditions can be eased or treated this way, and I was wondering what experiences people have had, if any!
Thank you!
Yamin151

Re: Cranial Osteopathy

Post by Yamin151 »

http://www.craniosacral.co.uk/research" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://edzardernst.com/2013/06/osteopat ... -thinking/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would be looking for peer reviewed, controlled and randomised trial evidence for this. Anything that claims to be good for so many ills immediately rings my scepticism bells! However, in interests of balance, above are links to two different points of view. Just bear in mind the larger the trial and more peer reviewed, randomised etc it is, the better.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Yes, our son suddenly developed sleeping problems as a young toddler and we took him to the Osteopathic Centre for Children in London for cranial osteopathy. I feel the sessions really benefited him. I don't know whether the centre still exists but it was run as a charity so you made a donation for each treatment. It was in Harley Street, very close to Regent's Park, so I used to go for a wander with him in the park afterwards. As an exhausted, sleep-deprived and at the time non-working first-time mother I really enjoyed those visits, and having someone really try to help me (the practitioner was also a homeopath and she made some very good suggestions for homeopathic remedies). Although I can also remember the "fun" of getting a buggy up and down the escalators on the Tube...
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

the practitioner was also a homeopath and she made some very good suggestions for homeopathic remedies
Nooooo! There is no such thing as a homeopathic remedy. But I'd better withdraw from this discussion now (I am a scientist :))
scary mum
Cranberry

Post by Cranberry »

Thanks for responses so far!

I suppose I am sceptical, hence my post! I would love to hear from others who have either positive or negative experiences!

Peridot - did the effects of your DS's treatment last? And did you have any clue as to why he suddenly developed sleep problems....did the therapist have any suggestions?

I suppose, I am trying to understand how it is supposed to work, as well as whether it does or not! :wink:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

scary mum wrote:Nooooo! There is no such thing as a homeopathic remedy. But I'd better withdraw from this discussion now (I am a scientist :))
Aren't you ignoring a wealth of evidence relating to the placebo effect scary?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

True, placebo is a wonderful thing, with no side effects :). However, a little expensive in the form of homeopathy where the dose of the original extract is equivalent to one drop in all the oceans of the world in the dilutions given (although of course, somehow the weaker it is, the stronger it is...). Tap water should have higher concentrations of anything you fancy, I guess. My last word on this - I really shouldn't get drawn into this as I feel very strongly about it - is a link to Ben Goldacre on the subject of cranial osteopathy
http://www.badscience.net/2004/09/cranial-osteopathy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Now that you've mentioned Ben Goldacre, I'm going to take the opportunity to recommend his book again. It's nearly Christmas guys, there are a lot of aspiring teenage scientists out there who will find this an extremely helpful insight into scientific method:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bad-Science-Ben ... 149&sr=1-3

Mike
marigold

Post by marigold »

Ben Goldacre is like god in our house and there is nothing I like better than a robust discussion on the molecule memory theories of homeopathy.

I do however have a confession re herbal medicine which I have always treated with the same healthy disdain. Last week DD had a university interview coming up and was the only member of the family not to have succumbed to a horrendous cold. I slipped into a well known health food shop in dark glasses and bought, for an eyewateringly large amount considering it was a few capsules rattling around in a huge pot, some echinacea. I forced these down her as my role in her preparation and so far no cold. As Ben would say, anecdote is not proof but I do have a sneaking admiration for the stuff if it could keep her safe in a house knee deep in snot.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't know anything about echinacea but herbal medicine is a rather different thing from homeopathy as a lot of medicines originate from plants. I prefer medicines when they have been refined from their raw state and been through thorough drug trials and declared relatively safe. When people start equating natural with safe, and telling me that things must be safe because it's herbal, naturaly etc etc, I want to say (but hesitate to because it sounds so rude) .... have you forgotten about poisonous mushrooms, life threatening allergic reactions to certain natural foodstuffs and what about those poisonous arrow tips that some tribes like to use --- they found that stuff in the rainforest. Give me something safe and unnatural any day please.

Cranial osteopathy - don't know - but if it's any good why hasn't it ever been adopted by the NHS?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now