New to eleven plus...need help and guidance pls.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
payel123

New to eleven plus...need help and guidance pls.

Post by payel123 »

Hi all,Moving to Leeds in January.I am very new to eleven plus and need some information and advice.Once in leeds,can i apply and sit for all the Yorkshire eleven plus tests?
Also,i have not much idea about how to prepare.DS is in Y5 now.Quite a bright child,generally among the top few students in class.have purchased a few Bond papers and have started making him practice them.I know I am starting late ,but help and advice would be so much appreciated.Thanks in advance
hermanmunster

Re: New to eleven plus...need help and guidance pls.

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Payel123, welcome to the forum!

Can I ask which schools you are looking at ? The Yorkshire GSs are at Skipton Ripon, Kirklees and Calderdale http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... re-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quite a distance to travel so you would have to be careful about where you decide to live
payel123

Post by payel123 »

Hi
No I havent decided on anything yet.My husband works from Bradford.in case my DS succeeds we will have to move to a location near the school.i would be moving to North of Leeds.From what little idea I have,i was thinking of Heckmonwike Gs and also NHGS.what are your suggestions?
payel123

Post by payel123 »

Hi all,Sorry for the desperate posts,but i am a little worked up about this one.I think I am starting very late because I was completely unaware of the system.DS is in year 5 now.How important are tuitions?What materials are best suited for the HGS and NHGS?Do we have any eleven plus mock tests in and around leeds/Yorkshire?any other help/advice/suggestions welcome.Sorry for the plethora of questions:-)
Bigbirdcw

Post by Bigbirdcw »

Hi

Some people hire tutors for a year or more before the tests. I think it largely depends upon the child. I started with DD in the summer before the exam - no private tutor - just went through exam papers. That was for Heckmondwike and was before they changed the exam format. DD2 is currently in yr5 and I will start sooner with her but nothing over the top. My view is that if they need to be tutored for an excessive amount of time just to past the test then they will struggle when they arrive.

It is important to give them some idea of what they will face and I think that the learning of answering with speed is one of the most important skills.

My DD travels from North Leeds to Heckmondwike and it is a long day for her, relying on public transport she does not get home before 5:10 and with extra curricular sports it makes fitting in homework as well hard. But she loves the school and all her new friends and is managing the travel well. Very few travel from North Leeds to these schools, the local schools are generally good and I would not have had a problem with them if she had not got in.

Good Luck
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Payel,

Have a look here for information on the GS in Yorkshire http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... re-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You have plenty of time - 9/10 month until the test - so there is no need to worry. The schools have not yet published the admissions information for your year.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now