The Reality of Tiffin BOYS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

YoungSuccess

The Reality of Tiffin BOYS

Post by YoungSuccess »

Been following the Tiffin Girls' thread of similar topic and finding it very informative. I am hoping parents of Tiffin Boys could enlighten us too. Thank you.

I kick start with some queries;

1. How much homework are they given on average in a week

2. Is there a "setting" practice in TB? I have observed this in QE and looked very impressive in implementation.

Hopeful parent :)

YS
tiffinboys

Re: The Reality of Tiffin BOYS

Post by tiffinboys »

So far our experience is just to year 8. Senior parents may give lot more information for later years.

Home work: At least 1 hour a day, on average.
Settings: Maths from year 9, though I think that they don't really need settings.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Homework: Is it this one hour/subject per week?
How many subjects do they study in KS3 - Yr7 and Yr8?
Is Yr9 kS3 or part of GCSE?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Some days, more home work and some times no home work. Takes about 6 to 10 hours a week. Some children put more time on better presentation and some can do scrappy work (and earn some harsh comments). Better to do it same day, other wise, it piles up.

No experience of year 9 as yet, but I believe it will be KS3. However, things may be changing due to recent changes in GCSE exams.
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

Thanks TB for the input.

Interesting about the setting. At QE, they start right at Y7 I was told, with a dedicated room for those who having difficulties in their study, to walk in anytime they need help catching up and another special room for those wanting more challenges, I think they called it enrichment room. Some really thoughtful and clever arrangements there, such as extra long lunch break, especially designed for those travelling a distance, so that they could participate in school clubs during their lunch break. Also, special quiet areas for students who want to do their homework and fantastic well thought provisions for the A level students in term of special study areas etc. Darn, I love that school! :)
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Interesting about the setting. At QE, they start right at Y7 I was told, with a dedicated room for those who having difficulties in their study, to walk in anytime they need help catching up and another special room for those wanting more challenges, I think they called it enrichment room. Some really thoughtful and clever arrangements there, such as extra long lunch break, especially designed for those travelling a distance, so that they could participate in school clubs during their lunch break. Also, special quiet areas for students who want to do their homework and fantastic well thought provisions for the A level students in term of special study areas etc.
Darn, I love that school! :)
Oh, yes, we all love that school.
They even have a pool.

All schools would do better if they emulate others' good practices and avoid the bad ones. Besides the famous A level cull, I wonder why almost 80 out of 180 pupil would only sit for double GCSE Sciences, rather than more common 3 separate Science subjects. Unusual for a super-selective school.
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

Just wondering, after the 2nd of March, or when a child gets a place at TS, are there opportunities for parents to get involved a little in the school ( besides the fundraising effort! ), just to know the workings of the school ahead of Sept start?

Thanks.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

Wondering as well how the new head is doing? What are his priorities? Any changes in the air?
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

The new head doesn't start until September although he is at school as he's currently deputy. My only opinion so far has come from my son who says the boys like and respect him.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

extra long lunch break, especially designed for those travelling a distance, so that they could participate in school clubs during their lunch break. Also, special quiet areas for students who want to do their homework and fantastic well thought provisions for the A level students in term of special study areas etc.
Youngsuccess - lots of schools do all of this ... and more!