AGGS 2016 draft admission criteria...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
enema

AGGS 2016 draft admission criteria...

Post by enema »

...is on their website. Looks like verbal, non verbal and maths are being proposed, with no changes.
Catseye

Re: AGGS 2016 draft admission criteria...

Post by Catseye »

enema wrote:...is on their website. Looks like verbal, non verbal and maths are being proposed, with no changes.
why can't they not include English and reduce each test to 30 mins( I am sure they could negotiate the same deal with GL if they wanted, and get rid of the review English ) so 4 subjects all equally weighted ? those who think NVR is just a load of meaningless nonsense have no idea of what inert intelligence is about ( most IQ tests are based around this type of thinking and those who think that it is easily tutored for, are very much mistaken , yes you can quickly reach your inert limit but to go beyond one's natural limit is very difficult, that's why it is a very fair test, it is the best test of potential and natural ability over and above all other tests , however having said that all tests for 10yr year old are all very blunt tools because potential cannot be predicted by any test at that ridiculously young age{ as recent research has definitively shown( although it could change by this time next wk :lol: ) , as opposed to the endless anecdotal rubbish I hear on this forum} imo )
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

.... NVR ...., it is the best test of potential and natural ability over and above all other tests
I have to hide this quote from DC; might think high score in Tiffin's NVR test was enough. :lol: :lol:
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

tiffinboys wrote:
.... NVR ...., it is the best test of potential and natural ability over and above all other tests
I have to hide this quote from DC; might think high score in Tiffin's NVR test was enough. :lol: :lol:
unfortunately very selective schools like AGGS and Tiffins are not that interested in potential but more interested in prior attainment

anyway well done to you and yours :D

ps AGGS does not have an English review , that would be it's sibling School
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

unfortunately very selective schools like AGGS and Tiffins are not that interested in potential but more interested in prior attainment
Up to this year, Tiffin just had NVR & VR tests. Not English and Maths. From 2016 intake, the tests would only be Englsh & Maths in 2 stages.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

tiffinboys wrote:
Up to this year, Tiffin just had NVR & VR tests. Not English and Maths. From 2016 intake, the tests would only be Englsh & Maths in 2 stages.
as matter of interest , why have they changed ? considering Tiffins are such successful schools.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Most probably, as these GL VR/NVR tests were failing in identifying high potential and had become prone to extreme tutoring and over-practice. A part of the cohort was considered to be weak in English as most candidates were concentrating on VR/NVR only. Many other schools, testing English/Maths were getting better results and higher position in league tables.

Other reason could be the cost of the tests. With nearly 2000 candidates, tests prepared by external assessors (GL in case of Tiffin) were costing a huge amount. Now stage 2 tests are likely to be in-house tests and some say that even stage one multiple choice would be prepared by the two schools themselves.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

tiffinboys wrote:Many other schools, testing English/Maths were getting better results and higher position in league tables.
crikey how high up the league tables does Tiffin Girls want to be? :o
short of introducing a cull at sixth form no school could compete with Q.E or HB.

as for the Boys school, we here have the same issue wrt AGGS and it's sibling school, I would conjecture that the reason why ABGS does not do so well in the league tables is more down to the modularisation and non-terminal nature of GCSE/A levels which has never suited boys and now with linear/terminal exams the gap will close and the boys may even turn the tables on the girls.I do not think that the boys are particularly weak at English.

I think the new assessment at Tiffins will play straight into the hands of the Prep Schools who are often 1-2 yrs ahead of their state peers in terms of both English and Maths, although I know we have some significant ideological differences between us, I think it would be fair to say that neither of us would want that!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

catseye, my comments were about Tiffin School - a boys' grammar. Recent changes are in boys' school from 2016 intake.

Tiffin Girls changed their tests from 2013 intake (2 stage tests: VR/NVR and then English/Maths) and are changing again from 2016 intake (only English/Maths).
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

tiffinboys wrote:Now stage 2 tests are likely to be in-house tests and some say that even stage one multiple choice would be prepared by the two schools themselves.
sorry about that but I thought you were referring to both the boys and girls :oops:

anyway I still think my conjecture stands?

I'm getting a bit muddled here, so Tiffins will have stage 1 nvr/vr then stage 2 English and maths - yes I like :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now