Washing KES Blazer

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JamesDean

Washing KES Blazer

Post by JamesDean »

So far I've gotten away with light sponging, but its clear it now needs a good wash!
The washing instructions say machine wash at 40, but has anyone actually done this??
Hints or tips, anyone; would the handwash cycle on the machine be better??
Any help gratefully received, especially if its 'DON'T DO IT!!!' :lol:

Cheers,

JD
Yamin151

Re: Washing KES Blazer

Post by Yamin151 »

You are a better mum than me JD! I haven't even done the sponging, and its pretty grim as already second hand!!!!! :oops: :oops:

So, I'd be interested in the responses too! Preferably by tonight so can get it washed and dry by monday!!! :)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Good grief! I wash my two every week!! Definitely don't waste money on dry cleaning!

Do the buttons up, check there is nothing festering in the pockets and then I put it in, right side out, on a 30 degree wash for about 40 minutes, just with detergent (no softener or Vanish type stuff).

I wash the tie as well (even though it says dry clean only - no problem). As soon as it is done, get it out of washing machine and hang it on a proper suit jacket hanger - on a day like today I would put it outside to air dry a bit - normal week it hangs up vaguely near a radiator - they dry very quickly - I have been known to chuck it in and hang it out ready for the next day...

Your son is likely to grow out of it before it wears out!!

....and Yamin....they go back on Tuesday....
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Thanks KCG - I'll give it a go.
Would never had wasted money on dry cleaning, just invested in a bigger sponge! :lol:

JD
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Good grief! I wash my two every week!! Definitely don't waste money on dry cleaning!

Do the buttons up, check there is nothing festering in the pockets and then I put it in, right side out, on a 30 degree wash for about 40 minutes, just with detergent (no softener or Vanish type stuff).

I wash the tie as well (even though it says dry clean only - no problem). As soon as it is done, get it out of washing machine and hang it on a proper suit jacket hanger - on a day like today I would put it outside to air dry a bit - normal week it hangs up vaguely near a radiator - they dry very quickly - I have been known to chuck it in and hang it out ready for the next day...

Your son is likely to grow out of it before it wears out!!

....and Yamin....they go back on Tuesday....
I wouldn't dry clean jacket either. Tie always gets slung in with the rest, no problem, and yes, I know they go back on Tuesday, but our washing takes all day to dry in this weather and need time to curse and try and make it look like a vaguely normal blazer again!!!!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Deed is done. Blazer washed and looks ok. Went in on normal 40 degree wash with other colours.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Thanks Yamin - going to do the deed now, although it won't be going out on the line to dry today! :roll:

JD
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

'Tis done and survived ...
Thanks ladies :)

JD
chebiyebu

Post by chebiyebu »

Reading this I wish it was written few months ago as I have already dry cleaned once and certainly will not be doing it again. Thanks ladies will be experimenting
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

Bl**dy ****. It takes a bloke to sort this out.

I will say this once and only once. Just put everything, and I mean absolutely everything in the washing machine at 30 degrees and it should come out Ok. This includes, wool, silk, leather, whites, coloureds, everything. Just put it in and wash it.

I have been doing this years and it has never ever* caused me an issue. All these different wash types and bio / non-bio, dry cleaning blah blah blah are myths started by the likes of Unilever and Sketchleys.

* Apart from eighteen shrunken suits, my biker jacket that I had from the age of 18, scores of spoilt white shirts, and a shrunken smoking jacket, all of which needed replacing at great cost.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now