Has anyone tutored their own kids successfully to NW?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

apprentice

Has anyone tutored their own kids successfully to NW?

Post by apprentice »

We still have a few more years to go but I am wondering whether it is realistic to think I can help my child into NW without spending money on tutors? Is there anyone in this forum who has done so?
parent2013

Re: Has anyone tutored their own kids successfully to NW?

Post by parent2013 »

I know couple of them who got through and they were all tutored for 1 to 1.5 years. I also know one naturally bright girl from my son's class who was not tutored and failed NW. I am sure there must be some DIY parents as well who managed to get their dd's through but it is all about dilemma of taking the risk of failing/passing v/s spending ££. Note having tutor also does not guarantee success into NW or other GS.
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

I know of 2 girls who were DIY tutored at home and passed. The girls are now year 10.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

I was actually referring to the stats from last 2 years. I guess the bar has been raised now but there would definitely be a fraction of children who got into by DIY parents. It requires parent who is knowledgeable, has ample time at hand (possibly not working full time), right approach and has network of parents with NW DD's. It also require child who is intelligent or at least above avg and keen to learn from parent with little fuss :)
reader88

Post by reader88 »

NW tests VR and NVR only. VR and NVR are technically the easiest DIY subjects (creative writing and comprehension are far more difficult).

I am working full time and has little link with other parents. DD DIYed herself, she checked answers herself, and timed exercises herself. I didn't spent much time and helped her with some "weird" questions. In NW entrance test She scored a few good marks above NW indicative cut-off, and her Bexley and Kent test results are very positive too.

From our experience, only the parents themselves can tell whether their DD / DS needs tutoring. You can give yourself and your DD a go and review in 2/3 months. If DD is progressing steadily, just carry on; otherwise, there are many good tutors in this forum.
sidcupparent

Post by sidcupparent »

Why don't you do both - Find a cheap tuition centre (PM me for details if you are stuck) and teach at home.

You can get the best of both worlds and increase your chances