KEHS Exam content info

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sean_uk

KEHS Exam content info

Post by Sean_uk »

Hi xxdd123 - and Moneypenny and all

DD took the exams yesterday and today. i thought it was quite telling that she said she thought the reasoning was more difficult than she had expected and the maths was more difficult than KE Consortium. However, she said, with a bit of lateral reasoning she figured out the VR and maths has always been her strongest point. English was as expected, essentially a free hand at expressive writing, arguing opinion and supporting points made in justifying choice of answer.

Maths contained the usual 'recipe' q, which is basically a ratio q, i.e, if Xg makes cakes for 4, how much for 12, then how much for 10.

A triangle containing many smaller triangles, how many can you count.

Circle / Triangle logic q

Shape, shape, what comes next?.....

What is added to 25.5 to make 27, then what is 27 a qtr of....

(two or three similar questions)

Reflection of light...ie, what does this shape look like from the reverse angle. Typical question.

similar logical questions...

(11 questions in total on maths, both today and yesterday).

Anyway, good luck to all the parents and children who took the papers. Good to know that its over..until DS1 in July..

S

Moderators - old post on last years content that was put in Quarantine - now returned
crazycrofter

KEHS exam

Post by crazycrofter »

I've just registered my daughter for the exam at the end of the month. Does anyone have any tips for preparing over the next few weeks, or pointers as to what might be in the exam?

Thanks for your help!
clearsky

Re: KEHS exam

Post by clearsky »

I don't know about KEHS, my son is doing the Kes test this weekend, we just made sure he was able to do comprehension in full sentence and well, also we did few creative writing following from the comprehension. Also we did few Manchester grammar school maths paper 1 and 2 because ds likes doing long word problems and has answers too. No work for this week as we want him to relax, strange but we are too relaxed this time compare to the grammar tests.
um

Post by um »

The Independent schools are pretty transparent about the format of the examinations - quite a lot of information is provided on the KEHS website:

http://www.kehs.org.uk/Entry-at-11-16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The KEHS exam is held over two days, and, as stated, will include 'traditional' VR papers, comprehension, writing and mathematics.

So, if she has done no preparation so far, it may be worth looking over these formats and papers in order to familiarise your daughter with them.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

And here is 2013's discussion on the topic, with my comments about my daughter's exam in 2012. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=30461
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Thanks everyone! Clearsky, I hope it goes well on Saturday.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Very best wishes to all the girls sitting KEHS.

On a more practical note, it's really stressful and very busy going to KEHS on two weekday mornings so go slightly earlier than you would have normally and drop off early if you can. The combined traffic of KES, the University and rush hour make it a bit of a nightmare. I asked a friend to take my youngest DC to school that day so I didn't have to rush to another school afterwards.

Similarly there's were queues at picking up time. The area has very little parking so you might have to park a short distance away and walk unless you get there early (some parents sat in their cars the whole morning :shock: ).
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Parking is a real challenge, there isn't really anywhere handy within walking distance either (Pritchatt's Road usually "fully parked" by university people and the Gun Barrels no longer an option) - unless you can park at Winterbourne Gardens next door? Not sure how favourably that would be viewed but wouldn't be very busy at that time I don't think.

I'd agree with the idea of doing some indie long maths problems but NOT Manchester Grammar unless already familiar with the indie style (far too difficult to start with and probably harder than anything in the KEHS exam). And make sure to pick something with answers provided unless you're very confident of your own abilities! Daughter sailed through the maths sections while friends who were more able mathematically but less familiar with the format struggled.
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

Some kind soul posted a list of indie papers that have answers in them, a while ago. I have searched the forum to the best of my ability to find that post but no luck :(

Has anyone else come across it, or know which post I am talking about?
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Thanks for all the info. I'd printed off a load of Manchester Grammar papers! Which schools' papers would be more similar to KEHS do you think?

Also, do you remember roughly what time drop off and pick up was? Thanks!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now