After school provision and childcare vouchers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jazz-UK

After school provision and childcare vouchers

Post by Jazz-UK »

Hi everyone,

Slightly random questions. I'm hoping that my dd will get into Handsworth Girls in September. Two questions I have,

1. What options do I have, if I want to collect her after work (between 5-6pm)? Currently she goes to afterschool club at her primary school. The school mentioned they have a classroom where the kids can stay, but does anybody have experience of this or alternative ideas?

2. I have an opportunity to amend how much I pay into my work childcare voucher scheme. What sort of qualifying costs (something normally organised by an Ofsted registered body) might I be expected to incur, if she gets in.

Many thanks in advance.
Reading Mum

Re: After school provision and childcare vouchers

Post by Reading Mum »

I can't help with the specifics for your school but I used Childcare vouchers to pay for after school care - not clubs - at school and 2 different holiday clubs (one at her junior school and now one at a local Indie school). I planned out the costs and stopped paying in once I had reached the max I expected to use.
Jazz-UK

Post by Jazz-UK »

Thanks, we've had a good run out of them in primary school and also summer clubs, just trying to budget for costs post-September :)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Have no knowledge about the school you mention, but at DDs school girls can stay in the library until 4:30 after school.

Do you need to pick your DD up?, can she make her own way home?

I know it varies from child to child (I know some that shouldn't be left unsupervised at 15) but my DD is ok with letting herself in at home on the few occasions she gets in before me. Usually I am home before her, but if not she lets me know she has got home ok and just gets on with homework.

You might find some forms of childcare only go up to 12 anyway. A few (like the holiday club one Reading mum mentions, my DD has gone there in the past too) will take up to 14 but not many. My DD has got to the point she would rather be at home than at holiday club though.

You might be thinking she is 'too young' to be getting to and from school by herself or letting herself in. it's understandable, I think most parents do, but they really do mature once they start secondary.
Green Girl

Post by Green Girl »

Hi
My daughter is in year 7 at KE Handsworth. She stays in a classroom until 4.00 as the green bus picks up from Aston first and therefore doesn't get to them until 4.00 - I'll ask her if she is aware of anyone staying later than that. I do know that when they have evening meetings or concerts they are happy for the girls to stay at school rather than go home and then come back in.
Jazz-UK

Post by Jazz-UK »

Thanks
Green Girl

Post by Green Girl »

Jazz-UK wrote:Thanks
Hi
I did ask my daughter but I didn't get a particularly helpful answer - sorry. She thinks that some people do stay later than she does, so later than 4.00, but she is really not sure how it works. Probably best to contact the school again - we've found we've got the best response by phone rather than e-mail.
Jazz-UK

Post by Jazz-UK »

Thanks for following up Green Girl :-)

I think I'll give them a call as you suggested.