GCSE- Mocks vs The real thing

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
TIDDLYMUM

GCSE- Mocks vs The real thing

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Looking for words of wisdom, my son is an only child.

He has just completed his Mock GCSEs and attained B's more or less across the board.He's at a Grammar School where the minimum attainment to stay for 6th form is at least 3 A grades :? . He was within a few marks of grade A on several subjects.

I'm looking at alternatives as a back up, but being honest I'm absolutely gutted, as is he. His targets based on work and results to date are mostly A*/A and his reports to date have been immaculate in terms of attitude and work ethic.

As I said I've no experience of this. I'm aware that grade boundaries have tightened and its harder to get those high grades, also its a very high performing grammar ( thats said I suppose he was marked against his peers and they seemed to have done better). I suppose I'm looking for stories where mocks weren't as expected but the actual results were better . Does the extra 5 months tuition help with grade increases?
Amber

Re: GCSE- Mocks vs The real thing

Post by Amber »

Most schools mark mocks very harshly as there is a danger if a child walks out of mocks with a run of top grades they think 'job done' and don't make a huge effort for the real things. I don't think Bs are bad - at least a grade can be added by hard work before June. If there is an upcoming parents' evening you could ask then; better still get your son to talk to the teachers about which areas need addressing. The school will probably have all this in hand already to be honest when they go through the papers. If Bs act as a wake-up call then that is good.

I do know of a child who got a D in A level statistics mock and 100 UMS in the real thing. Does that help? :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I agree with Amber. My DS hasn't had his results yet, but I would certainly expect him to be doing a lot more work for the real thing than he did for the mocks, and therefore hopefully achieve his predicted grades. I do agree there is a danger of complacency - my DD went from an A to a D in one of her subjects (it was a short course subject - with hindsight we should probably have queried it, but it was all new to me then).

Use them as a wake up call and have plan B in place just in case. We didn't have plan B and came close to needing it.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Do the mock grades include coursework marks? These often boost the grades a bit and, as a general rule, an increase of one grade is 'normal'. Were there topics in the paper they had not covered?

'Mocks' are just an opportunity to practise and find weaker areas; now the hard work begins! Lots of past papers and using them effectively to highlight 'gaps' will make a huge difference. Examiners reports can give examples of answers and the mark they got and why.

Examples, similar to the one Amber quotes, are not unusual but are achieved with hard work from now on.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Thanks so much for your replies. We have had this years parents evening and 6th form information evening bit I have e mailed school
today, to get a feel for how they think it might go from
Here. I feel I need to manage our expectations and have a firm plan B- but I'm really hoping he can make the jump to A at least on his strongest subjects.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

TIDDLYMUM wrote:I feel I need to manage our expectations and have a firm plan B- but I'm really hoping he can make the jump to A at least on his strongest subjects.
it is sensible for us all to have a "plan B"

but if he can secure A*/A in his strongest subjects then he should be well set-up for A levels and if he did well at them he could still take a yr out and get into a top flight Uni even on the back of ave GCSE's overall

how much revision he did do for the mocks?

it's still to early to panic (so says, the most neurotic parent in Cheshire!)
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

He did revise a lot, he's very motivated. He was within within 1-5 marks of the A in several subjects.

But having never gone through all this before and with all the uncertainty about harder exams, it's just so worrying. :?

And Catseye we should share that title. :D
KB

Post by KB »

Please try not to worry.
It is quite possible to pull up by a grade between mocks and June exams.
Additional thoughts to the above:
The important thing is to have a focussed plan of action for each subject so you are sure any holes in understanding are filled in and he is revising effectively.
Go through each paper with him and get him to figure out with you where marks were dropped - specific topics and/ or exam technique.
Get DS to talk to each subject teacher & if you are still concerned you could email the member of staff initially.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

My dd has just done a week of GCSE mocks and I am in fact hoping she does badly so she does not think she is on top of it. The very worst thing that could happen to her at this point would be a string of A stars. A clutch of B's would suit me very well! So much better to surprise everyone in the words of younger dd who was recently predicted a failure in her Grade Five Music Theory and responded to her critics by coming out with a distinction! DG
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I feel a bit better today. I have e mailed school to discuss further. He has come home and told me that he has of his own volition signed up for extra classes in one subject. I know he'll do all he can.

I am a worrier and a planner- so things like this really throw me.Plus if he goes elsewhere, I might have to shell out £££ for a new uniform :lol: ( that's the least of my worries but it did cross my mind).

I really appreciate you all responding.