How to construct an elasticated waistband on trousers.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stroudydad

How to construct an elasticated waistband on trousers.

Post by stroudydad »

An odd question, but I'm looking to make a pair of trousers with an elasticated waistband, but also a drawstring... Any hints and tips would be appreciated.:-)
Tinkers

Re: How to construct an elasticated waistband on trousers.

Post by Tinkers »

Make up the trousers.
Then turn over the top, with a turn over larger then the elastic you intend to use, turn a little of that under.

Sew down almost all the way round, do this from the inside so you can make sure you catch it all. Use the gap you have left to thread through the elastic. The trick my mum taught me was to pin one end of the elastic with a safety ip then use another safety pin on the elastic to thread it through, as you can feel it. Once threaded though, try on and adjust to fit then sew the ends of the elastic together. Neatly sew down the gap.

Similar for a drawstring but you might want to try doing a buttonhole for the threads.

I think I've seem tutorials on Pinterest which might help as they will have pictures.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I'm intrigued!

Do you want the waist to be - say - 3/4 elasticated, and then the drawstring does the rest?

More description, please, and what is the garment in question for. PJs?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

This might help.

http://www.japanesesewingpatterns.com/f ... women.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for doing both elastic and drawstring on the same garment, maybe half elastic at the back and then sew the drawstring at the sides and thread to the front. Leave the gap at both sides.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Thanks, the item is going to be a special dobok for a
taekwondo demo elastic is usually fully circumference.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

In that case, I think you need to construct the elastic first. Something 3/4" or 1" wide would do the job.

Sew a length of drawstring (of a similar width and strength) to one end of the elastic. Feed the elastic through the tubing that Tinkers has described.

Adjust for size. Once it gets to the other end, sew another drawstring to the other end of the elastic.

Job done, perhaps?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now