Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Catseye

Hints on how to interview well

Post by Catseye »

here are my suggestion

Dress Code

wear the school uniform-especially if from State Primary make a virtue of your "lowly status".
if from prep avoid ostentatious display of a 101 merit badges(they know all about theses already from the school report and they look ridiculous)

arrive early

but not too early waiting makes children nervous, and avoid unnecessary conversation with other parents or applicants , it never helps

"prep"

in my experience is mostly a waste of time, but advise your child to repeat the question if not understood or some thinking time is required i.e" Don’t fire out the first thing that comes into your head" Speed of response won’t impress.
but get a friend unfamiliar to the aforementioned child to interview her/him in a formal setting, not at home

post interview

leave promptly do not hang around , go for a well earned meal or other treat but do not conduct a post-mortem except for the cursory "how did it go" , the die is cast and what will be will be, if you cannot resist wait until the next day at least.

good luck
LostInTheShuffle

Re: Hints on how to interview well

Post by LostInTheShuffle »

Many thanks, Catseye. Very helpful.
mashiyer

Post by mashiyer »

Hi,
DD has been invited for an interview with NLCS next week. Any tips on what kind of questions we should expect?
Cheers
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I don't think prep is a waste of time at all. It helps the student feel confident because they know what to expect. DG
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Definitely do a little run through beforehand and remind DC to smile, make eye contact and be friendly to other children.
My DS decided to approach it as though he had just scraped in to the interview list, so his job was to show them how interested he was in learning, how much he wanted to go to the school and that he was friendly.
Basic questions to warm up with can be found by searching the indie section, but include what do you do out of school, which school do you want to come to, what are you reading, what sports do you play, have you got any brothers or sisters...
If your school does a lesson or group interview remind your child to participate fully, invite opinion from others etc, this is their one chance to shine.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

watch out for classic trap

"which other schools have applied to and which school do you want to go to?"

this is the school working out how many unconditional offers to makes.

and if you have to attend a "informal" meeting with the head as we did for Withington Girls Don't believe a word of it , they are sizing you up !
mashiyer

Post by mashiyer »

Many thanks fairyelephant, your tips are certainly useful.
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Cats Eye,

What are the schools looking for when they are meeting with the parents?

Thanks
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

coolmum123 wrote:Cats Eye,

What are the schools looking for when they are meeting with the parents?

Thanks
you need know some basics , these schools are businesses, the most important thing is can you afford the fees and the extras which can be crippling!! i.e upto £500 a term for transport!!

the school wants to known if you(single parent) or your more "convention family unit" are educationally ambitious , the theory being they are more likely to push their child.

if on a bursary ,are you the type of parents who will ensure your DC maintains the standards expected the school

ask pertinent question - what value does the school add? what help is offered to pupils if one's child is struggling

we found good cop / bad cop worked well

one asks questions about the "ins and out" of the school i.e academia the other on pastoral care-soft skills ect,

convince the head you are no mugs, a good knowledge of the educational system shows you are engaged with not only with your child's education but education in general and understand the issues.

at WGS in the end the high-mistress suggested I should conduct the rest of the interviews :lol:

and with MSG we demanded an interview with the High-master !

knowledge is power
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Catseye wrote:here are my suggestion

Dress Code

wear the school uniform-especially if from State Primary make a virtue of your "lowly status".
if from prep avoid ostentatious display of a 101 merit badges(they know all about theses already from the school report and they look ridiculous)

arrive early

but not too early waiting makes children nervous, and avoid unnecessary conversation with other parents or applicants , it never helps

"prep"

in my experience is mostly a waste of time, but advise your child to repeat the question if not understood or some thinking time is required i.e" Don’t fire out the first thing that comes into your head" Speed of response won’t impress.
but get a friend unfamiliar to the aforementioned child to interview her/him in a formal setting, not at home

post interview

leave promptly do not hang around , go for a well earned meal or other treat but do not conduct a post-mortem except for the cursory "how did it go" , the die is cast and what will be will be, if you cannot resist wait until the next day at least.

good luck
What a fab advice! Really practical, works for any interview in my opinion. (Although I'm not convinced turning up for a pharma interview in my primary school uniform would have helped.......although.......... 8) )
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now