Anyone with a DC taking Bucks 11+ in Sept 2015?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kittymum

Anyone with a DC taking Bucks 11+ in Sept 2015?

Post by kittymum »

Gosh it's quiet here!

My DD is taking the a Bucks 11+ in Sept. She is desperate to go to SWBGS (our catchment grammar) where my ds is currently in year 7 and loving every minute of it - even the work (this is a new experience for him actually enjoying work). It has been the most fantastic fit for him - he's made loads of friends, got to grips with the homework and even taken up a team sport. I'm confident that should dd qualify it'll be just as brilliant a fit for her.

So am I on my own here or is there anyone else who'd like to join a support thread - I'm definitely finding it more stressful this time round (keep looking at the % in county passes from state schools with a sinking heart) and would welcome some company :D
Tolstoy

Re: Anyone with a DC taking Bucks 11+ in Sept 2015?

Post by Tolstoy »

I'm in but am feeling pretty relaxed about it this time, early days but hoping to maintain a calm approach :)

Experience has taught me that no school is worth stressing over, all schools will have plus points and minus points and sometimes DC will excel in an environment where they are the highest achievers but in an environment where they are mediocre reign in their ambitions to avoid disappointment. Bucks Upper schools have a lot of academically able DC in them and if you are fortunate to have a good one as your catchment then DC attending may well achieve more with encouragement and support from home.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

kittymum, good luck to your DD. I am sure SWBGS will be a very good fit for her, for anyone really. It is such a lovely school. OH is still hoping DD will choose it. OH said among all the schools he visited SWBGS had a very relaxed and natural feeling.
*Jigsaw*

Post by *Jigsaw* »

Hi :) I'm brand new to this forum, this is my first post !

My daughter is taking the 11+ this September. I've left it too late to find a tutor, so we are attempting to help her ourselves eeek ! She's very bright and desperate to pass and go onto the Floyd. I'm busy searching this forum for advice on how to help her at this late stage. We also have some books and practice papers to do !

Scary times !
lily11+

Post by lily11+ »

Hi, My daughter is still quite young, she's currently in Year 3 but have already hired a tutor to coach her through the 11+ exam about twice a month to start of with.

We live in Wooburn Green so hoping for Beaconsfield High School in a couple of years time.

I really do wish the best of luck to everyone's children taking the 11+ this September! I hope they all pass!
Kata girl

Post by Kata girl »

*Jigsaw* if you believe your DD is bright, and she is motivated and she has self belief you should give it your best shot and not be scared. Just go for it. If you can find a tutor there may be benefits, but also there is a lot you can help her with if you can't find one. Anyway for others it may not be affordable in their budget. Just my view but I would start adding extra work out of school in a regular structured way - a sort of timetable over her own current timetable of homework and out of school activities.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Year 3??? :shock: :shock:
scary mum
lily11+

Post by lily11+ »

Yep year 3....Unfortunately she's already been tested on her reading/spellings/ comprehension/vocab etc etc and the 11+ tutor has already confirmed to me that my daughter is just "average" and definitely not in the top quarter of 8/9 year old girls right now.
So for her sake, I'm trying to build the foundations now for this exam instead of leaving it too late when she could academically be really behind then.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What levels is she now? The tutor could be worrying you without a good reason ...
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Also, in spite of the existence of this forum, maybe, just maybe, grammar school isn't the best place for all. Do you have a good local alternative?
scary mum