Tiffin Girls: Headteacher leaving end of this term :-(

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hina

Tiffin Girls: Headteacher leaving end of this term :-(

Post by hina »

got letter come through day, wonder what will change at TGS?
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffin Girls: Headteacher leaving end of this term :-(

Post by tiffinboys »

Very surprised. Did any one see it coming? Strange that heads at both Tiffin Schools would be leaving at almost the same time. At least, the boys had a year's time to look for the new head.
Martin_Procter

Post by Martin_Procter »

Yes this is a bit of a surprise. She's taking up a job at Ofsted. There is no vacancy posted on the Tiffin Girls School web site (as of now) and also no vacancy in the TES web site (the main web site for teaching jobs); it looks like the school was surprised by this. I suspect the school will have difficulty filling the post for April and will appoint a new head in September with temporary arrangements for Summer Term.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Of course, every one is entitled to look after their personal interest and progress. Gone are the days when the Head Teachers would be at the same school till their retirement. But on Open days, she came out as very enthusiastic about her job and TGS. What happened?
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

tiffinboys wrote:But on Open days, she came out as very enthusiastic about her job and TGS. What happened?
Funnily enough, I commented here at the time that I found her delivery at the Open Day session I attended fairly flat and uninspiring. I still didn't have the impression that she was about to leave though.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

We went to open days in consecutive years, so perhaps my impression was already formed. From speaking to other TGS parents, I think she was a good head.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

An advert for new headteacher has now been posted on Times Educational Supplement

there are links (the attachments at end) on the advert for person spec etc and Governors thoughts, might be of interest to anyone wondering what direction the school might be going (ultimately detail will depend on who is appointed), but at least a framework forward direction is in public

Salary is upto L39 (which is £97,128 before London allowance) so hopefully will get decent candidates (the leadership pay scale runs from L1 to L43 so is near the top)

https://www.tes.co.uk/jobs/vacancy/head ... es-287793/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Hope some one outstanding comes and for much longer than 5 years, with interest in local community as well, rather than just an eye on the league table.
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

I really liked Mrs Ward, she taught my daughter for English at one point and my daughter thought she was a fantastic teacher.

I think it must have been an extremely difficult job to take over a successful school and put your own stamp on it. It was never clear what her vision for the school was. I think she tried to improve pastoral care but certainly her early attempts were hit and miss. There were rumours that certain teachers disliked her and left.

While the school achieved it's best ever results under her tenure I don't think she was results obsessed. When we last saw her last term at the A level celebration, she was her normal enthusiastic self.
hina

Post by hina »

Headteacher recruitment
As Chair of the Governors’ Headteacher Recruitment Selection Panel, I am writing to inform you of the
outcome of the Headteacher recruitment process, which concluded yesterday.
We received 19 applications and shortlisted six candidates for interview on Monday 9 February with
four candidates being brought through to the second day on Tuesday. The selection process was
extremely rigorous over the two day period and was supported by two external Headteacher advisors.
However, after very careful deliberations, the governors have decided not to make an appointment on
this occasion and will be advertising the post again in September. As a result of this decision, we are
currently finalising a strong and comprehensive interim leadership structure which will be operational
from the start of the summer term and continue through the next academic year. While it was a
challenging decision not to make an appointment, we also feel positively that the interim leadership
structure we are putting in place reflects the strengths of the current leadership and staff already in the
school and will also provide stability and continuity for the school going forward. We are confident that
the structure will ensure the school is in expert hands while we continue the recruitment process for the
next headteacher.
I am delighted therefore to announce that Ms Amy Cavilla will be Acting Headteacher with overall
responsibility for educational provision and she will be supported in senior positions by Mr Matt Tiplin
and Mrs Kathy Kilpatrick who will both be Acting Deputy Headteachers. Mr Tiplin will have responsibility
for curriculum and infrastructure and Mrs Kilpatrick will have responsibility for student learning,
wellbeing and staff development. Mr Jeff Clark will be Acting Assistant Headteacher with responsibility
for timetabling, student progress tracking and ICT.
As governors we know that the appointment of the Headteacher is one of our most important
responsibilities and we are determined to make the right decision for the school. It is because we have
such confidence in the current staff at the school that we have been able to reach the decision that we
have.
Thank you for all you do to support the school