Kendrick non-routine admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
helping_hand

Kendrick non-routine admissions

Post by helping_hand »

My friend daughter has been invited for a Kendrick test in February.

Any idea what books/papers I should use to prepare?

Thanks for your help
Reading Mum

Re: Kendrick non-routine admissions

Post by Reading Mum »

which year group?
helping_hand

Post by helping_hand »

year 8
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I don't think there is anything specific. Yr 8 girls did the old style VR and NVR exam rather than the new CEM one but they have all come along so much since then that this probably has no relevance. Since there is only the one place up for grabs it will be a pretty custom test I would have thought. Good maths skills, maybe a bit of VR / NVR like the Susan Daughtry things, current affairs or an interest in case there is an interview?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

One thing for prospective candidates should bear in mind is that the vacancy is for a class that started german in year 7, so they will have already done german for a year and a half. The new girl will be expected to try and catch up.

Not many schools these days teach german :( even fewer start it in year 7.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Tinkers wrote:One thing for prospective candidates should bear in mind is that the vacancy is for a class that started german in year 7, so they will have already done german for a year and a half. The new girl will be expected to try and catch up.

Not many schools these days teach german :( even fewer start it in year 7.
DD got an in-year place right at the end of year 7 at a local grammar school where all the girls take French plus either Spanish or German from the start. At her previous school, they took only French in year 7, Spanish being added in year 8 and German
available as an option from year 9.

Rather cheekily, I asked that if possible she be allocated to a German group and with some guidance from the school and a bit of help from CGP and BBC Bitesize galvanised my rusty language skills into action and got her up to the required standard over the summer holidays.

Looking (just out of interest) at the Kendrick site, I appreciate that wouldn't be possible to make that request there, but the guidance seems to indicate that not having one of the languages would not per se be a bar to success, as the possibility of the school recommending private tuition is mentioned.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I wasn't suggesting it's a bar. It isn't, just pointing out what the sitiuation is. For some it might be important.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

A good point there - year 8 seems very heavy on the languages with German, French, Latin and Ancient Greek.
helping_hand

Post by helping_hand »

thank you all
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

I know of someone whose dd attended a yr 8 assessment day at Kendrick around 3 years ago. There were about 17 girls going for the one place and the day consisted of English, Maths, Sciences and the language was 'Swiss'. Apparently they want to see ones aptitude for picking up languages. Allegedly the place went to a girl from one of the Slough grammar schools.

It was a few years ago but hopefully the invitation letter will tell you what eill be assessed.

Good luck!

Sona