What are you doing to prepare your current yr5 child?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Seraphine

What are you doing to prepare your current yr5 child?

Post by Seraphine »

Just slightly panicking now! My child has a weekly tutor - 121 for an hour, is booked onto some prep courses in the holidays and we've now started working with them on various 11+ materials for 30 minutes or so a day. On top of extra curricular activities and just life in general this is about what we can manage.

Is it enough?
Mittleme

Re: What are you doing to prepare your current yr5 child?

Post by Mittleme »

are you preparing her for Grammar or Indie schools ? also how selective are the schools if you are then

i think it depends on where your child is at now. i mean what level in school your child is?

after that you are the only one that will know the areas she/he needs to improve on before the exams.

Mine is doing 2hrs of tutoring each week started just end of last year and in the beginning i left her to the tutor and only just realised there's only so much she can cover with the tutor doing both English and Maths for 2 hrs so started to help her myself with some practise
as well at home

my main reason for the tutoring is

the Grammar schools we are targeting are super selective in Sutton area and also most parents are doing this and it just makes one panic even more if you are the only one whose child is not being tutored.

you would be amazed some even start in year 4.

Having said that , my childs tutor is not 121, there are about 8 others in her class.

we all do panic dont we ?
Nikki00

Post by Nikki00 »

Hi my dd is currently in yr 5 and started with a private tutor in jan. She going to sit the newstead exam otherwise she will go to darrick wood. (As we are near the a21 side of orpington I think the bexley/kent schools are too far to travel, so not doing 11Plus). The tutor is just for VR and NVR. She finished yr 4 with 4B in reading, maths and literacy so not ultra bright but doing well. I think the hour with the tutor and the hour homework on top of all the usual activities is enough for my daughter. Any extra and I think she would resist. I hope we can step things up a bit closer to summer. It's hard knowing how much to push them without it backfiring ! :?
sidcupparent

Post by sidcupparent »

Depends on your child strength and weakness
We practiced nvr and vr by ourselves. But got tutor for both english and maths. At this stage it is now worth doing a mock exam a month. Doing it at centre is better than at home
robofish

Post by robofish »

My year 5 son is getting an hour a week tutoring. We'll keep it at that. Just started introducing him to the test formats.

We are mainly looking at St Olave's as his brother is there. We may also try for Wilsons and Chis & Sid but our local school is Langley Park and has a decent reputation.

He has very little problems with maths and logic. Writing and comprehension needs to be more focussed so that is what we are concentrating on.

The problem for St O is that the 2016 format will be brand new, so everything we currently know and assume is wrong!
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

robofish - If it is ok to ask, is it enough to do the Bond books for English or should we look at other publishers as well?
sidcupparent

Post by sidcupparent »

I think Bond and CGP are good for foundation. You also need to top up with vocab.
Memorise the 346 word list for start.

CEM English not hard to pass you basically need two things:

1) Strong comprehension skills
2) Strong vocab skills
Hajra

Post by Hajra »

Our DS is in year 5 we are working through bonds and CGP - which word list is being referred to though ?
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

If i remember rightly a lot of the CEM information was taken from the Bucks forum. Not sure how similar the Bucks & Bexley test are so caution.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... hp?t=30114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

&

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=37096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope the links work.