A2 mocks and actual exams

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2childmum

A2 mocks and actual exams

Post by 2childmum »

The son of a friend of mine is about to take his A2 mocks, and has been told my his school that Mr Gove has said that if he doesn't pass the mocks he isn't allowed to take the actual exams in the summer. Has anybody else heard this? Seems strange to me!
Guest55

Re: A2 mocks and actual exams

Post by Guest55 »

Absolute rubbish! The school is winding him/them up ...

At this stage any school refusing to enter students would get bad publicity. Some private school do make students pay for the exams so they can discount the results they don't like in August.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Poor Mr. Gove.
Justinterested

Post by Justinterested »

Guest55 wrote:Absolute rubbish! The school is winding him/them up ...

At this stage any school refusing to enter students would get bad publicity. Some private school do make students pay for the exams so they can discount the results they don't like in August.

I think you pay for all external exams in private schools.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes you do and this enables them to manipulate results as it can say you were a private (external) candidate.
KB

Post by KB »

Sounds like a teacher winding up his 18 year old pupils. I can well imagine it happening at my DCs school but would be very suprised if any of them fell for it.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Justinterested wrote:
Guest55 wrote:Absolute rubbish! The school is winding him/them up ...

I think you pay for all external exams in private schools.
not at my sons' School or any other Indies School I know of !
KB

Post by KB »

At my DCs there was no charge beyond normal fees.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Ditto a lot of the private schools round here - they cover the cost of the exams from the "normal" fees - however, resits are charged for - and remarks are charged to the individual, unless the school requests it.

Interestingly, there is a very popular state school locally that charges students an extortionate rate for resits and tells them the deadline is about a month before it actually is, so that they can then charge the "higher" rate! A bit harsh, considering the exam boards publish their rates clearly on websites and all schools pay an exams officer anyway all year round to do this job, so it could hardly be classed as an admin charge...!!
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

My son's school doesn't charge either - it's included in the fees.

I expressed my disbelief to my friend re the mock situation. I wonder what the school is playing at - my friend's son is really worried about it. I don't know if they have told the GCSE kids the same thing - I know another boy doing GCSEs there so I think I shall be nosey and ask.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now