CLSB

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CPM1771

CLSB

Post by CPM1771 »

Very good luck to everyone waiting on interview news from CLSB today.
needadrink

Re: CLSB

Post by needadrink »

Hello everyone,
First time I post. DS applied for 10+ CLSB and waiting for the postman. Sadly he didn't arrive yet.
I simply just can't wait! Would love to share the moment with you
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

Thank you, we were offered an interview. Any tips for a shy, not very articulate boy?

It seems very late though (Friday) which makes me fret that there's some sort of order.

And why do these schools make their offers so late? It's going to be agonising waiting.
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

Oh and any inside information on numbers interviewed and places offered very gratefully received.
needadrink

Post by needadrink »

We were offered an interview too! My son sat 10+. Please advice on numbers and tips!
Thanks
CPM1771

Post by CPM1771 »

There will not be any significance in interview timing. It will be a mock class of some description. I wouldn't worry about shyness. They absolutely will not want a school of all one type of boy (except bright !) Numbers wise they had 666 sit the 11+ test, but 180 of those were for sponsored awards (of which I think there are 5 at 11+.) There ought to be 60 places available in total, but there are 43 boys in OG who will move into first form, which is 3 more than they wanted. It depends on whether they realise they can cope with more. There is an extra class in year 2 for example because too many accepted. If they do that again there could be as many as 80 places. There are however only 92 in the current first form, if they want a similar size this year then there could be as few as 49. Why they simply don't tell us is beyond me.

Anyway, there are usually up to 3 times the number of places offered. Their acceptance rate ranges from 22-37% because of the number of choices boys who get in there will have available to them. A lot of boys sit in the hope of scholarships so if they don't get it then do not take up a place. So there are a good multiple of offers over places available. As a general rule they tend to try to offer enough places so that they do not offer to the wait list. We have to consider however that there is a new head ans she may have a different approach.

On past form they will interview about 225 and offer rate is 70% plus. I do know boys who have been interviewed and didn't get an offer so as much as I would like to reassure everyone - it is unfortunately not a sure thing. The interview is important, but I would not suggest any prep beyond a little bit of gentle practice on interests, hobbies etc.

We are in the same boat for interview on Friday for younger DS. Our eldest is already there. Seems much much harder second time round !

Very best of luck.
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

Thanks for this CPM, very useful.

I too know of a boy who was interviewed (for 10+) who wasn't offered a place. Was wait listed, but nothing came up. So yes, not a given. I'm trying to stress to my son that the interviewers are teachers and he's quite used to them.
needadrink

Post by needadrink »

Anyone applied for 10+?
DS is very shy too, and will answer yes or no to any question. Summer born, which doesn´t help at all.
Worried about everything now…
NeedWine

Post by NeedWine »

I would imagine that for 10+ they have a higher take up rate and so do not over offer to anywhere near the same extent (as there are fewer options at that age). No specific intelligence though.
needadrink

Post by needadrink »

thanks needwine