Sanity check...

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ILove11plus

Sanity check...

Post by ILove11plus »

St Margaret's offer/rejection due today/tomorrow.

How often does a sane person check for the post. I'm thinking every half hour is a little excessive?? :D
hermanmunster

Re: Sanity check...

Post by hermanmunster »

post, as in letter coming through the door? Have known people almost a) sitting on the mat b) driving round looking for the postman

e-mail ? depends how much your F5 key can stand the pressure!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The day my A level results were due to arrive on a postcard I sat right next to the front door so I could see them first.

Well, not first really, as the postperson knew them before I did ... how times change.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

oh yes! the postcard ... forgotten that trauma :lol: :lol:

I was once waiting for some postgrad exam results and they hadn't appeared so went hunting for the postman, he nearly fell of his bike but checked through the post and there was nothing for me :evil: :evil:

had to head into work at this point - where I found a congrats card on my desk! Boss at the time was on the board of examiners ...... she had assumed I knew the result and told everyone :oops:
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I was so grateful to be out at work the day ours arrived! I had expected it on the Friday (when I would have been at home) but it arrived Thursday and was on the mat when I got home 15 minutes before I had to leave for the school run. No time to even think about it.... Otherwise 1/2 hour seems perfectly reasonable to me :wink:
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I went into school for my A level results instead of waiting for them to arrive and my hideous head teacher was at the front door of the school and before I even had seen my results she said she was sorry and offered me a meeting in her office to discuss my options :shock: :shock:
My sister was working with me in our summer job when her GCSE results came out - she went to the pay phone (those were the days :wink: ) to ask my mum to open the letter with her results - my mum told her she had 9 Es because she read the last letter of GRADE rather than the actual grades. Only about 10 seconds before she realised her mistake but I remember standing outside the phone box and watching her face go white!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

loobylou wrote:I was so grateful to be out at work the day ours arrived! I had expected it on the Friday (when I would have been at home) but it arrived Thursday and was on the mat when I got home 15 minutes before I had to leave for the school run. No time to even think about it.... Otherwise 1/2 hour seems perfectly reasonable to me :wink:

great when they arrive earlier than you expect!
Amber

Post by Amber »

I was out of the country when both my 'O' level and 'A' level results were posted home and don't remember being especially bothered about getting back for either. I look back on that now with some disbelief as the whole GCSE and A level thing, and the driving test, with my children has had me quaking, clutching my mobile, dry-mouthed and waiting for The Call of Destiny. DD went to get her GCSE results and eventually after what seemed like half a day called me and said 'I think I've done quite well, oh sorry got to go...call you back in a minute'. Agony.

Empathies to all awaiting such news.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I have no memory of receiving my O level results, although I know they were posted. I can remember my best friend's father berating her in front of me because I had marginally better results than her (guess who's extremely successful in her chosen career now). I was away when my A level results were sent out, and do remember being nervous. I was on holiday with a friend who had not received the results she needed for med school & her father was not impressed - he met us at the airport. Again, guess who's a renowned consultant now? My parents were away & had to phone from the other side of the world to find out how I had done.
scary mum
ILove11plus

Post by ILove11plus »

Ok so the St Margaret's offer or rejection did not arrive today.

- I have checked with the ISP to see if there any problems with the email server.
- I have WD40'd the letter box, to avoid any disasters.
- I am sitting by the window for the rest of the evening, in case the postman forgot to post the letter and does so on his way home.

This is all normal behaviour, yes?