gone down in sats results. help

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

worried parent

gone down in sats results. help

Post by worried parent »

My daughter, who is in year 3 has just got her school report and has gone down a level in both English and Maths FROM A 3 TO A 2. I feel this is not ok
but would like other views. Please help :? :? :?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

She is a term into Year 3 - has she changed school? Even if she has not it is much more 'formal'\in KS2 - is her teacher worried? Also find out how they assessed - a KS1 level 3 is based on a narrower curriculum - ask.
katel

Post by katel »

Remember that they do a lot of work towards the SATS in year 2, and she will have boon doing different sorts of work this term. Were they formally assesed at the end of term, or was it just a couple of bits of work that were marked as a 2? HAve you talked to her teacher about it? Sorry about all the questions, but it's difficult to offer any help without more information!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Katel's right, you do need to talk to her teacher. There could be any number of reasons. It's only a term since she did her SATS so she might just have dropped a couple of marks - ie, she might have achieved level 3s last term by just a few marks and have just missed level 3s this term by just a few marks. One of my sons got a 2A for writing at the end of year 3, got a 3 at the end of year 3 and then went back down to a 2A at the start of year 4. Not because he couldn't do it, but because he couldn't be bothered to write much in the end of term tests.

But you're right to query it and I'm sure the teacher will be able to put your mind at rest.
Waddle

Post by Waddle »

I teach in Year 3 and it is very common for children to drop in their SATs, as the curriculum they are tested on is broader than in KS1 when, don't forget, they get intensive SATs preparation just before the exam. The summer holiday break, coupled with the broader KS2 curriculum, is largely responsible for an apparent drop in achievement.

Most children regain their momentum as the year progresses.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now