Unsuccessful Review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sammy1

Unsuccessful Review

Post by Sammy1 »

Well done to everyone who received good news yesterday.

Unfortunately we were not successful on our review. I have been following your posts for sometime and they have been very helpful. I just don’t know what to do next, if anything.

My daughter scored 113 in her 11 plus results. She was working at the same level as her twin brother and he got 133.
Her HT gave her 2:1 and indicated that three Level 5’s could be achieved.
In my review report The Panel’s view clearly shows that two level 5’s can be achieved and says School academic scores support her STTS result and panel considered the impact of her prematurity and illness on the day of test.

In HT’s report she says. The age standardisation process creates a disadvantage for premature children, as they appear months older that they actually are in development terns. She was unwell on day of the 11+, and was absent he following day. Her parents informed us of this.
Her CAT’s scores for Year 5 do not truly reflect her ability, as there was a concern that she had not been marking the OMR sheet clearly enough and she was also unwell at the time of testing.
She strongly supports this review. Her teachers agree that she would be best placed at a grammar school, hence her ranking 2;1. She is a hardworking student who has made sustained and impressive progress throughout her time at school. I very much hope this review is successful. She has a diligent and determined work ethic and she would thrive in a grammar school setting.
VR Maths NR
Cat Year 4 105 105 119
Cat Year 5 92 99 78! Unwell on day of test
Cat Year 6 111 119 127

KS1 Year 3 Year4 Year 5 Oct 14 Predicted Y6
Reading 2a 3b 3a 4b 4b 5
Writing 2b 2a 3c 3a 4c 5
Maths 2a 3c 3a 4a 4a 5

Do I just have to accept the decision or is there anything I can do?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
:?
Guest55

Re: Unsuccessful Review

Post by Guest55 »

You can appeal once the school allocations are made. Look at all the advice re overcoming FCO ..

I suspect they thought the levels looked a bit optimistic, particularly in writing - the Headteacher has not given a sub level either and 5c looks likely rather than a 'strong level 5'.

How premature was she? It is normally felt that any delay would have been caught up by Year 6.
Sammy1

Post by Sammy1 »

Thank you so much for such a prompt reply.

Where would I find advice re FCO?
I know the HT was a little optimistic at all Level 5s but we did persuade her as we felt we had no case without them.

She was 3 months premature weighing 1 lb 10 oz. We feel she has nearly caught up and is making great progress. Her fine motor skills have been an issue on marking the boxes, hence we have very little academic evidence.

Thanks for you help.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=36418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look at the above as a starting point and other threads from last year.

I will PM you.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to the forum! :D
Guest55 wrote:I suspect they thought the levels looked a bit optimistic, particularly in writing - the Headteacher has not given a sub level either and 5c looks likely rather than a 'strong level 5'..
Also, out of 9 CAT scores, only one (127) might have been viewed as clearly acceptable.

Good to see strong support from the school. I wonder, though, how many of the head's '2' recommendations qualified in the 11+? The lower the figure, the more optimistic the school's recommendations will seem. (If you go to appeal, you will be given the figures.)

No one, of course, should go into an appeal expecting to win, because the odds will always be against you.

However, appeals are unpredictable, and one can never be sure what might happen.
Etienne
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Just playing devil's advocate here but I think you would have to be prepared to answer why, knowing she was ill on the day of the test, you still put her in? Certainly in our area we have to sign a fit and well sheet before they go in to the test, so that people cannot then appeal saying their child was unwell. If you can't sign to say they are fit, you don't sit.
Sammy1

Post by Sammy1 »

I didn't realise she was was unwell on the morning of the test until I picked her up from school that afternoon, she said she had a headache mid morning and felt sick and she got worse during the day. When we got home she was sick and went straight to bed. I still think the lack of academic evidence is our problem.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Just playing devil's advocate here but I think you would have to be prepared to answer why, knowing she was ill on the day of the test, you still put her in? Certainly in our area we have to sign a fit and well sheet before they go in to the test, so that people cannot then appeal saying their child was unwell. If you can't sign to say they are fit, you don't sit.
No signature is required in Bucks, but their Guide clearly states:
    • It is very important that children do
      not take the Transfer Tests if they
      are unwell, so if your child does not
      attend testing for this reason, you
      will need to submit a letter from
      your GP to confirm what happened.
A review or appeal panel is unlikely to look favourably on cases where this guidance is ignored.

However, there may be exceptions - for example:
    • • the child becomes unexpectedly ill during the test. (Can school staff confirm what happened? Was the GP subsequently involved?)
      • ongoing, prolonged illness where a postponement won't help. (Presumably there would be plenty of medical evidence in this sort of situation, and prior discussion with the admission authority or LA.)
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now