2015 Entry - Preference order

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lastminutepanic

2015 Entry - Preference order

Post by lastminutepanic »

Hi

I understand that if I accept a school of a lower preference, I will remain on the wait list of all schools above that preference.

What happens if I reject the lower preference, and decide on Indie - can I still remain on wait list of all higher ranked schools?

Getting close now..... :shock:

Thanks
MmeOgg

Re: 2015 Entry - Preference order

Post by MmeOgg »

My understanding is that the LA authority will have fulfilled their obligations by offering you a place. If you reject that place, then they are under no obligation to offer you another place.
Presumably you should accept the offered state school place (and keep a chance of moving up the waiting lists of higher preference schools), until such time as your indie place is 100% confirmed.
lastminutepanic

I was worried that may be the case.

We have choice of 2 indies & scholarship & live in Essex LEA. We have put both Southend 3 & 4th and would be OOC places. I would prefer Essex grammars due to location.

Does it make a difference that Southend are OOC & in theory I have not accepted an Essex place?

It is not that I do not want to take a Southend grammar (should one be offered), but just trying to understand the process ahead of making decisions should we be lucky enough to be in the position of choice.

Thanks again.
sleeplessinhalstead

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

Hi there,

last year we were offered our 3rd choice school (a Suffolk school) and declined it for an independent school. The acceptance form from Essex LEA asked which higher preference schools we wanted to stay on the waiting list for. I only put one down - our 1st choice GS. But on 19th July right at the end of term I had a call offering us a place at our 2nd choice (declined it as it was so late in the process, uniform purchased, deposit paid and DD did not want to change) will still be on the waiting list for all higher preference schools, it is worth phoning the LEA and asking.
lastminutepanic

sleeplessinhalstead wrote:Hi there,

last year we were offered our 3rd choice school (a Suffolk school) and declined it for an independent school. The acceptance form from Essex LEA asked which higher preference schools we wanted to stay on the waiting list for. I only put one down - our 1st choice GS. But on 19th July right at the end of term I had a call offering us a place at our 2nd choice (declined it as it was so late in the process, uniform purchased, deposit paid and DD did not want to change) will still be on the waiting list for all higher preference schools, it is worth phoning the LEA and asking.
Thanks Sleeplessinhalstead - sounds like you were in a similar position :) Good to hear Essex LEA will ask our preferences, and I will call them to check ahead of confirming any decisions. We spent the w/e discussing the various options, and as we have only put 4 grammars as options, if nothing comes up in March will make a selection between the 2 Indies(leaving it tight though). Tbh, we know we are lucky to have the options we have, but it helps to understand the process and make the right decisions.

Thanks again.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

You definitely do not have to accept a state school place in order to go onto/remain on state school waiting lists. Friends have home educated and privately educated whilst sitting on state school waiting lists as they did not want to accept the offered school. It does mean that the LEA is not obliged to find you a school place, as you have turned one down, but they will still treat you like any other applicant on waiting lists. Your DCs position on the waiting list is purely down to the oversubscription criteria and not affected by whether they have a school place elsewhere or not.
lastminutepanic

Another confirmation is always good - thanks Minesatea :D