Is there any point ...... Booklady Review / Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Booklady

Is there any point ...... Booklady Review / Appeal

Post by Booklady »

.......in going to appeal when a review has been turned down?

What % of appeals are successful, and, or those, how many actually get a place because by then the schools are full? Has someone got that data? For Bucks? I can't seem to find it online.

And for the 12+, from what I have seen online, whilst many pass, hardly any places are available it seems. Is it even worth sitting that?

Although does SWB take an extra class in Y9? At 13+.

I am coming to the conclusion that we may have ended up being penalised for having a child at private prep - since we had more data (CATs etc) which were a slightly mixed bag - mostly good, with the odd anomaly. Others who just declared predicted Y6 levels etc with the same score as us seem to have got a yes.

This DD is at a higher level right now than my other DD was at the end of year 6 and who is now flying at grammar. Seems so unfair.
I hate this process!!!
Etienne

Re: Is there any point ...... Booklady Review / Appeal

Post by Etienne »

Booklady wrote:.......in going to appeal when a review has been turned down?
What % of appeals are successful, and, or those, how many actually get a place because by then the schools are full? Has someone got that data? For Bucks? I can't seem to find it online.
I'm afraid we've not got the figures, and am not sure if they're published anywhere.
Perhaps someone on here could do an FoI request, and share with the forum?

What we do know from reports on here is that some grammar schools had sufficient vacancies for all appellants last year. (Whether that will be the case this year remains to be seen.)

Even where the grammar school was full, there have been individual cases on here in the past two years that have succeeded at the oversubscription stage.

No one, of course, should go into an appeal expecting to win, because the odds will always be against you.

However, appeals are unpredictable, and you never know - you might win!
And for the 12+, from what I have seen online, whilst many pass, hardly any places are available it seems. Is it even worth sitting that?
Buzzybee - and others - would say 'Yes'.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Rosato1

Post by Rosato1 »

Hi Booklady,
I really feel for you..I myself has daughter in private prep and can no longer afford to continue in the private sector.. I am now a single parent. Unfortunately the schools where I live are all satisfactory or have recently failed their ofsteds!!
I had all my hopes on my daughter going to Grammer as she is quite bright and very musical. I lay awake most nights worrying about her future in a failing comp!!
I feel the school system leaves a lot be desired!!!
If you can afford to live in a nice area and send your child to a decent school...your one of the lucky ones....if like myself I live where the schools are poor...than grammer is our only choice!!! The stress has been unbelievable...
Luckily the outcome has been successful and I feel my daughters deserves to be somewhere where she will flourish...If you feel this for your child than don't give up!!! You still have two chances... The appeal than the 12+.
I wish you all the best in what ever you decide.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

[quote="Etienne]
Perhaps someone on here could do an FoI request, and share with the forum?

[/quote]

I have sent an email requesting the info under the FOI act this morning. Lets see what response I get.

And thanks for the response Rosato. Our catchment upper is dreadful - in and out of special measures and doesn't offer lots of subjects (eg triple science, any language other than French!!) - we didn't even put it on the CAF - so we have applied to the comps in a neighbouring town. No guarantees there due to distance - that's our big issue. There are some good schools for bright kids there.

Roll on 2nd March for the next decisions!!
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Booklady, I'm in the same position as you, and I think I will regret it if I don't give it a go. There is always a chance so I say go for it!

Good luck.

Mama Bear
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

MamaBear wrote:Booklady, I'm in the same position as you, and I think I will regret it if I don't give it a go. There is always a chance so I say go for it!

Good luck.

Mama Bear

Thanks - we will!! It just feels like Mount Everest right now!

I am sure my positivity will return - at some point!! :roll: :)
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

There are stats on this page about reviews and appeals in 2014: http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... l/appeals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The relevant bit for us is
Grammar school (Unqualified after review)
140 heard
33* successful (23%)
*As several grammar schools still had places available for year 7 at the time of appeal, not all the successful appeals had to prove a case for prejudice.

Not hopeless yet.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

For the schools we appealed to there was zero success at RGS from 27 and 5/23 at John hampden, that included those who had not had a review. (Like us)
I am surprised the levels averaged out so high over all.

Go in with your eyes wide open, it is a very stressful procedure, if you do not pursue it you will always wonder "what if", but at the end of the day you are facing a panel of people that in some circumstances will be judgemental, unsympathetic, and they will try and catch out any inconsistency.
One of our panels was unapproachable and also broke basic rules, the other had us all round the sane table to talk the situation out and ensured all rules were followed, they were still strict but not confrontational. Considering he panellists are all trained by BCC the difference was unbelievable.

Good luck, whatever way you choose to proceed, you may be luck enough to get a place in a comp.
Don't forget the 12+ traditionally has incredibly high pass rates, so your journey should not end at appeal.
Last edited by southbucks3 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Thanks SB3 your input is really valuable, I'm thinking to just appeal to JHGS.
RGS appeal panel sound scary!

You are right, a part of me thinks what's the point, but there is always that small chance and I am clinging on to that!
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

southbucks3 wrote:For the schools we appealed to there was zero success at RGS from 27 and 5/23 at John hampden, that included those who had not had a review.
I am surprised the levels averaged out so high over all.

Go in with your eyes wide open, it is a very stressful procedure, if you do not pursue it you will always wonder "what if", but at the end of the day you are facing a panel of people that in some circumstances will be judgemental, unsympathetic, and they will try and catch out any inconsistency.
One of our panels was unapproachable and also broke basic rules, the other had us all round the sane table to talk the situation out and ensured all rules were followed, they were still strict but not confrontational. Considering he panellists are all trained by BCC the difference was unbelievable.

Good luck, whatever way you choose to proceed, you may be luck enough to get a place in a comp.
Don't forget the 12+ traditionally has incredibly high pass rates, so your journey should not end at appeal.
Thanks both - I have done a FOI request for the schools we are interested in to see how many got places.

The whole thing just seems incredibly inconsistent looking at who got through, who didn't and the scores. I am now pretty certain we were penalised for not having end of Y5 SATs, they seem to have used CATs as a proxy - and they are not the same as far as I am aware.

Does anyone have anything which compares the scores at SATs, CATs and 11+ - I am pretty sure a 121 in CATs does not equate to a 121 in 11+ for example - given that a CAT score of 121 would be in the top 11% of the population! So why do the board seem to be using it in this way!?

Any how - I have relooked at the two comps in Maidenhead we are interested in - and actually think both have got lots of positives - so will see what happens on March 2nd!! :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now