Scholarship (NLCS/HABS/St.Helen's)

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bhaskar

Scholarship (NLCS/HABS/St.Helen's)

Post by bhaskar »

Hi Everyone,
I was looking for any topic related to academic scholarship award in NLCS/HABS or St.Helen's but could not find one. My DD has got offer letters from all of them and wondering how if at all applicable, scholarship award is communicated or dealt with. Do we have to talk to the school for any such consideration or the school themselves would mention it in the offer letter if there is any one being offered?

regards
NLMum27

Re: Scholarship (NLCS/HABS/St.Helen's)

Post by NLMum27 »

Congratulations! Can I ask-You have an offer letter from Habs? Are they out already? They communicate a scholarship at the same time as the offer I believe.
bhaskar

Post by bhaskar »

Sorry for the mistake NLMum27.
It is not HABS and rather CLSG. But CLSG doesn't offer any academic scholarship anyway.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Well done on your offer letters. Everything the schools are prepared to offer you will be in the offer letters. Gone are the days when top tier schools need to offer scholarships to get academic excellence. Some of the lower tier schools will offer academic scholarships to tempt parents away from the top tier schools but with lots of great candidates on their waiting lists NLCS and St Helens do not need to do that. I have a very dear friend on the waiting list at NLCS so please think about the waiting list students before you hang onto multiple offers for too long. DG
bhaskar

Post by bhaskar »

Thanks Daogroupie. Well I have already declined CLSG. Will wait for HABS. If she gets the offer I would rather choose HABS than NLCS & St. Helen's. Will decide tomorrow as some of the members suggested that HABS result would be out tomorrow.
DaddyO

Post by DaddyO »

Interested to know why you would rank HABS ahead of the others? In a similar position waiting for HABS tomorrow and my wife prefers NLCS but I'm trying to find information from parents with real experience of both schools as I think HABS might be the better choice.
aman

Post by aman »

Would be interested to hear on NLCS vs habs too
Suzie P

Post by Suzie P »

I'd hazard a guess that alot of people make their choices based on the postion of the school in the league tables and percieved prestige that goes with it. If you take the time to research the actual results of these schools, the difference being number 1 and number 30 in the tables, (based on % of A and A* gained at GCSE) you'll find equates to approximately 250 single exam results across a cohort of 160 or so children, and when you get to splitting hairs between 99.something and 98.something it's probably only 2 or 3 single grades. When you think of it like that they are all much of a muchness and knowing that they all offer your child an excellent education I would think that things like how long your child will spend travelling too and from school and whether or not all her classmates will be jetting off to their French chateau in August whilst you go to Spain (that is unless you have a chateau in France) need to be taken into account.
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

NLCS gets better results in exams and uni places (much higher Oxbridge numbers). They also offer a choice in 6th form between A Level/PreU and IB. It has a far less traditional and formal feel. Also, it is more accessible by public transport and is more of a London school. The coach network extends to Islington and Kensington as well as more suburban/exurban areas.
NLMum27

Post by NLMum27 »

Shootmenow, when you say it is more of a London school than Habs, what effect does that have on the feel of the school do you think? Do you think it means that the girls are more sophisticated?

Thank you for all your responses to my questions, they have been really helpful.