St Albans High School for Girls VS South Hampstead High Sc

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LONDON GIRL

St Albans High School for Girls VS South Hampstead High Sc

Post by LONDON GIRL »

My DD received offer from both schools please guide me to choose the right school.
NLMum27

Re: St Albans High School for Girls VS South Hampstead Hig

Post by NLMum27 »

Hi LG- what is your journey time to each?
LONDON GIRL

Post by LONDON GIRL »

Hi NLMum27,
We are in the middle, so it roughly takes the same time.
Thanks.
NLMum27

Post by NLMum27 »

I'm afraid I'm not sure. I would say that from friends with girls at both that SHHS is definitely a more 'London' experience. For my money I'd choose St Albans, I think the girls are perhaps more unsophisticated (in a good way) and for that reason there is slightly less social pressure and a gentler environment. Equally I see the only real downside of St A as the central town location, but that is even more so at SHHS.

I should point out that I am perhaps swayed by two friends who are very happy with St A for their girls in senior school and a much less happy friend at SHHS who talks of high pressure. Funnily enough she plans to move to the countryside eventually and move her DD to St A if possible!

What is it that you are looking for in a school? Happy to ask either friend any questions if you wish to PM me.
LONDON GIRL

Post by LONDON GIRL »

Hi NLMum27,

Thank you for your advice.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Go and look at both again on a normal school day.
Watermelon

Post by Watermelon »

I actually see the city centre location as a positive; when they are a little older, the girls can go 'out' for lunch into St Albans and begin to become more independent. The new head, Jenny Brown, mentioned it in the Q and A session I went to. She said she sees their location as being 'a bridge between school and uni' and I agree.

I'm afraid I can't give any advice about SHHS as I don't know the school at all.

Well done on having two excellent offers :D
LONDON GIRL

Post by LONDON GIRL »

Hi Guest55, Watermelon

Thanks.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

St Albans is a fantastic school. The sport is great and the music is excellent as is the drama. Only downside is that almost half of the places are taken by the preps who have been together since they were 4 but I know they try and spread them out over the classes. It continues to expand and the new concert and theatre hall is tremendous, I was there for the Xmas concert. I would vote for St A but then I know the school very well and lots of girls there and some more now who will start in September. It would help if you told us about your dd and what she is interested in and what type of person she is. DG
LONDON GIRL

Post by LONDON GIRL »

Hi Daogroupie,
Thank you for your advice
We live in Harrow and my elder daughter goes to HBS. It takes the same amount of time to travel to South Hampstead and St Albans but South Hampstead is just 3 miles away from HBS. She is quiet and not very sporty as she is mostly interested in the academic side. I know you have a lot of knowledge and experience so please share this information and guide me to choose the right school.
Thanks again.