Bursary

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kobe2010

Bursary

Post by kobe2010 »

Unfortunately my son did not win a scholarship grant .But they offer a place for him.Im wondering if its still possible to apply bursary by this time.Any advice please.
hermanmunster

Re: Bursary

Post by hermanmunster »

It depends - some schools expect bursary applications to be in before the results / exams etc while others may be able to look at your figures now and see if they can help.
You can only ask and see what they say but you may find that all the bursary money has been allocated already.
kobe2010

Post by kobe2010 »

Thank you for that,I will call admission on Monday.Its a bit disappointing because on the letter it says they offer a place for my son but the next paragraph says he was not able to win a scholarship grant.a bit confusing for son :(
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Why is it confusing? He's done well to get a place - he shouldn't be disappointed. Did he know you might not be able to afford it without a scholarship? Time to talk up the alternatives?
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

kobe2010 wrote:Unfortunately my son did not win a scholarship grant .But they offer a place for him.Im wondering if its still possible to apply bursary by this time.Any advice please.
Kobe - is this St Edmund's? Did you apply for a bursary at the time because it looks like applications have closed .
Vicster

Post by Vicster »

Bursary applications usually have to be in prior to the exam. The schools need plenty of time to allocate bursary funds as they look at family income, exam results, number of bursary requests and other factors. I'm guessing that you are much too late now and the school will already have allocated all of their bursary funds as they have already sent out the offers but ring them to check.
Is there any specific reason that you didn't apply for a bursary when you applied for your son to sit the exam?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now