Confusion - Henrietta Barnett or City School

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
vicky2004

Confusion - Henrietta Barnett or City School

Post by vicky2004 »

March is a week away - and its creating lot of confusion.

DD has got City School of London - and she is certian for Henrietta also, commute to both school is same 50 mins.

Unable to decide which school to choose. Ofcourse one is 5k per term and other is none - but that is not of important critieria for me.

Unfortunately didnt get to visit Henrietta.
Daogroupie

Re: Confusion - Henrietta Barnett or City School

Post by Daogroupie »

300 students sat Henrietta Barnet many of whom had been preparing in great detail for almost three months. I am interested to know why you feel your dd is certain for Henrietta. What did she do in the exam that has convinced you that there are not 93 girls who have done better? G
Ess30

Post by Ess30 »

You can't choose a school you haven't visited. That is a massive commitment - especially when you are talking about schools with very distinct and individual characters.

Can you afford to lose the deposit - to give yourself time to try to arrange a visit to HBS?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Your DD must at least have seen a bit of HBS on two occasions, when she sat the exams; presumably she felt comfortable then? Was there a reason why you or at least she didn't get to visit the school when you had the opportunity?

At the end of the day, as the parent you could just decide to send your DD to HBS anyway, should the place you are confident of indeed be offered. However, she is the one who will be spending the best part of two hours a day travelling to and from school, so you really should try to give her a decent chance to make her own mind up. Try ringing the school to ask for a tour.
Last edited by ToadMum on Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I like OP's confidence. :wink:

Ess30 has made good suggestion. HBS usually arranges for a visit once offers have been made.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

interesting about visiting schools, I suppose it is very different and very important if you have a choice!

DD took the 11 plus, there is only one GS .... what would I have done if she had visited and something had concerned her (didn't tend to cope with crowds well then - was at v small school)? Only option was take the test and then it was fait acompli.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Daogroupie wrote:300 students sat Henrietta Barnet many of whom had been preparing in great detail for almost three months. I am interested to know why you feel your dd is certain for Henrietta. What did she do in the exam that has convinced you that there are not 93 girls who have done better? G
Has HBS started contacting first 100 girls? Last year a poster here mentioned being contacted to see if they opted HBS as first choice.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

They can't ask candidates to go on their waiting list before the national allocation day. Rather HBS is reported to have contacted immediately thereafter, urging top ranked candidates to go on their waiting list, if HBS was not their first choice.
vicky2004

Post by vicky2004 »

Thanks all - City they close early on 27 Feb - so we had to select HBS on 2nd March.

Have visited today HBS - impressive.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now