Anyone with all success but decline from habs?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
aman

Anyone with all success but decline from habs?

Post by aman »

Just curious to know aa we had a good interview at habs where It was indicated that our child did extremely well in written exam and she did have a good interview but place was not offered.
However she has positive response from all other schools she applied for including NLCS. Just wondering what might have gone wrong! And also want to know if there are people in similar situation this year or have been there in the past and what their views are. TIA.
coolmum123

Re: Anyone with all success but decline from habs?

Post by coolmum123 »

I know of a couple of girls that are in the same position this year and one last year b Habs wasn't their first choice so I don't think they were devastated by it.

Did you/ DD prefer Habs over NLCS? She has done really well to get the other schools.

Not sure what they are looking for at the interview stage, I have read on an old thread that even after interview Habs is a 'wild card' when it comes to offering places. :?
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Habs seemed very interested at DD's friend's interview in why she was sitting when her older sister was at another top school.

Is your DD a younger sibling?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Habs have 600 girls sit so they don't like to waste their offers on those who are more interested in other schools. I always recommend not leaving the interview room without stating that Habs is your first choice. I know of a ds who was asked in the Habs boys interview "What school is your first choice?" He answered St Albans and did not get an offer from Habs. Did your dd clearly state in the interview that Habs was her first choice? DG
aman

Post by aman »

Appreciate the responses.

Yes DD is the younger sibling with older brother in a super selective grammar.(!) Could that be a reason???
We did mention that she has had interview at NLCS(!) did ask while talking how would they see the differentiation from other independent schools(!)
Not sure if they asked dd her first choice but seems the interview was quite academic and she did well.
Is there a possibility that our interview spoilt it?

Don't know if we or dd preferred habs over NLCS but a concrete offer would have helped us weigh the options. We tried to keep ourseves detached till we have the offer so Difficult to comment.

Just curious I guess to understand the reasons.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Well it has made it very straightforward for you! Look at all the threads from parents who are finding it impossible to decide. Choice can be a bad thing as you can make the wrong one. Are you now left with one school or are you waiting for state selectives on Monday? DG
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
demitasse

Post by demitasse »

A few years ago my DS got an offer from Trinity and a waiting list from Whitgift. I'm convinced it was because we didn't enthuse enough about Whitgift when the deputy head interviewed us. She said DS had done well in the test. We were semi-honest when she asked our preferences and told her that we were considering a few schools but that we hadn't made a decision. Doh! Actually we preferred Trinity by far anyway.

The 'wait list' letter told us to contact them if we felt strongly about our son coming to Whitgift, which made it clear that we had failed to convince them that we really wanted a place there.

So, if you want a bunch of offers so that you can have your pick, or as a back up in case you don't get your favourite, then it is probably wise to lie. Seems obvious now... :oops:
aman

Post by aman »

@DG ... Yes, we are at the same place, that may be it just made it easier for us to choose. We are waiting for state electives to decide.

Seeing the responses, I am sure it was our interview what might be a factor. Good to get the views, puts my queries to rest.

Thanks fellow forum members.