11+ exam results at qe

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

shocked

11+ exam results at qe

Post by shocked »

Hi there ,

can anyone suggest me something good.

My son took the QE first round exam but didnt get through!!!!!!!!!!which was a real shock for me, coz he is been practising for more than six months and he is been scoring over 90% whenever he was given the test ,he is top ranker with all 5As in his present school .Even after finishing the exam in QE , he was quiet happy and confident for having done well. To my great surprise and shock he failed. I could not believe that he had not even scored 70 marks, just unbelievable

They say they dont discuss anything about the question paper and what do i do if i want to take this matter further, :shock: can i go for appeal.

Please can someone assist me with some suggestions

for the last five days i had fallen into depression :cry:
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi Shocked,

Although I don’t know anything about the way QE works, I do sympathize with the way you are feeling right now having been in the same situation as yourself.
I know for you to be posting on Christmas day it must be very raw.
The best advice I can give you: is for you to read up on the Appeal Q&A section of this site.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php

People who know more about QE will reply to you soon.

Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Sorry I couldn’t help more..

AM
Benny

Post by Benny »

Hi Shocked,

Firstly, I am so sorry that your holidays have been marred by the unexpected news of the test results. It must be a horrible cloud of disbelief that is hanging over you and your son. This is because you have such faith in his abilities.

Secondly, I have never heard of anyone who appeals after not making it through the first round. QE is a foundation school(governors and trustees) which handles its own exams according to its published criteria. Maybe someone has appealed at this stage in the past but I think that is not very likely. I have a friend whose son did not make it for the first round 6 years ago; they went in to see the school admissions and were told that he did not achieve the required mark.End of story.

I do know of many boys in recent years who have sat the exams and have not gone on to the 2nd round and it seems that the general consensus is that that is the end of it.

Their exams are set wholly to get a ranking of boys to give the LEA a list on the 18th January 2008 and I am sorry to say that I feel that will be the position they will take i.e. no further action necessary and no queries entertained. Have you actually asked at the school if you can appeal at this stage?

Those who have not gone on to the second round have just 'struck' the school off their list and know that there will not be an offer from QE in March 2008 and look for other alternatives.

This is absolutely hard on you and unless someone with more information comes through, your best line of action will be to stay positive for your son's sake and look at other options.

I know your list on the CAF is already done but I hope your other choices are feasible.
The boys I know are quite able in their own right and it is all depends on one day of tests. This makes it seem all the more cruel when you feel you have prepared him so well.

The only other thing I can suggest is to ask if it is possible for a remark (although I've not heard of this as well).Exams for QE are not like the county type 11+ in areas like Bucks.

Please stay positive for your son.
I am sorry I can't be of more help or the bearer of good news.

Best Wishes.

Benny
shocked

Post by shocked »

Hi Benny,

Thanks for your time and suggestions. I am literally blind folded and fish out of water.

I have e-mailed to the school admissions sec. waiting for a reply from them( they are back only next thursday).
Benny

Post by Benny »

You are very welcome.
I am literally blind folded and fish out of water.
that above feeling is much worse than having
a horrible cloud of disbelief that is hanging over you and your son
Hang in there.

It is good you are finding things out via the proper channels.

Perhaps eventually, someone will learn from your endeavours.

Try to enjoy your New Year.
All my best wishes.

Benny
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Shocked

I am sorry to hear about your son's shock result. I agree with Benny (my compliments to Benny for his/her marvellous post) that there is probably very little that you can do about this, other than look at the next school on your list.

The Appeals process, as far as I am aware, only relates to those who are unsuccessful after the final round.

I am so sorry that you have sunk in to depression - please take some time out to recover from this very unexpected turn of events and try to move on as quickly as you can. Unless the school have anything further to say on the subject, which I fear they won't, that is the best thing you can do for your son as well as yourself.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Little to add to the excellent posts above except that, if you apply for a school place and are refused, then you have a statutory right of appeal (whatever the school may say).

Whether such an appeal would succeed in this instance is another matter .....
Etienne
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I am sorry I do not know the school but it sounds like you have received some sound advice from the people above.

Please explain clearly to your son that one of the reasons why he will find some people as bright as him at another school is because strange things like this can happen whatever selection process is used.

Please don't be so desperate about it. I know this is easy to say, but the worst thing that could come out if this is your son feeling that he has let you down, or that he is in some way a "sham" i.e. everyone thinks he is bright, current school included, but this test has found him out.

Continue to show your strong belief in him by carrying on saying how the test results do not fit with his SATS levels etc, and find some positive things about the other schools on your list. You say nothing about them - do you have some good fall back options?

Good luck.

PS. Is it possible that in a multiple choice paper that a child could miss a box out by mistake, and put all the subsequent answers in the wrong boxes, and that this would be picked up on a manual remark?
Benny

Post by Benny »

Is it possible that in a multiple choice paper that a child could miss a box out by mistake, and put all the subsequent answers in the wrong boxes, and that this would be picked up on a manual remark?
That is a very valid point.

My own child did that a few years ago in a multiple choice paper (VR)for an independent school exam, realised the errors at the end and managed to change the lot!

I dread to think what it might have been if that was not done - the results would have been apallingly low.

If you think there is a possibilty that may have happened, you have to get your skates on right after school opens. The 2nd test is on 7th January with a reserve date for illnesses around the 14th Jan. I can confirm that for you later on.

But do this checking with the school quietly for if your son did not made any such error but has somehow missed the cut off qualifying mark for that one day tests, he will not need to know any more other than that he has done his best.
Benny

Post by Benny »

Hi, shocked,

Just to confirm that the reserve date for illnesses candidates is on the Wed 16th January (as you will find in your prospectus exam schedules).

Given that the school plans to send its ranking list to the LEA on the 18th January, they might still be able to offer your son a date to sit the second round tests if you can have the 1st round papers remarked and your son has attained a qualifying mark.

You can only try if you think there is a strong chance.
Admissions may very well turn round and say that any error is still an error and they cannot make any allowances; please do not be over optimistic with any efforts you make in relation to the remarking of the paper.

Good luck.

B
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now