kendrick

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kendrick

Post by Guest »

I am in the process of preparing my daughter for the exam 2008. Are the bond books suitable?
Many thanks for any responses.
chad

Post by chad »

Hi Guest....sorry it's a bit quiet at the moment but I am sure there will be someone along that will be able to answer your question...we have got a couple of hopeful Kendrick parents frquenting the forum.

All I know is..

[quote]Reading Area
Kendrick Girls’ Grammar School – 93 places
Entry is by examination only at Kendrick Girls. No catchment policy applies.

The entrance tests will be taken at Kendrick School. There will be two tests each of length approximately one hour.

The examination consists two NFER papers (verbal reasoning and non-verbal reasoning). Children sit the examination in November.

No past papers are available but similar papers can be purchased from this website. Currently these are “11+ Practiceâ€
Ella

Post by Ella »

Dear Guest,

I am reluctant to reply in too much detail as my dd has just done the Kendrick test and there are still some girls yet to take the test (on 25/1/08 I believe).

Anyway, my opinion is that the Bond books are OK, but we found other material more suitable and appropriate - I will try and elaborate later next month :)

Good luck!

Ella
Ella

Post by Ella »

Sorry, what I was referring to in my post above was Bond VERBAL reasoning. In terms of NON-verbal, then Bond is good (in my opinion) simply because there doesn't appear to be much good quality NON-verbal practise material available. Although we found the fifth series Bond stuff quite tricky, but then my dd much prefers Verbal.

Of course, it remains to be seen if my opinion is valid or not.

Hope that makes sense!

Post by Guest »

Thanks Ella - I'm more than happy to wait until the end of January for your advice regarding the bond books and thank you for responding.
Good luck to your daughter :D
SW61

Re: kendrick

Post by SW61 »

Anonymous wrote:I am in the process of preparing my daughter for the exam 2008. Are the bond books suitable?
A good question. :) and one I have been avoiding as I do not know the answer. :shock:

Kendrick is NFER VR and NVR standard format. I have recently purchased but not yet read NFER standard papers. Bond have recently revised their books to be more NFER.

I am using Bond NVR books for my younger ones but ignoring the "cartoon what happened next strips" as they are ambiguous given the quality of print, the age graded NVR approach is nice if time is on your side. The questions are graded as layers are introduced. We are working on third papers 9-10 years ( 2007 ).

For VR if I had to choose I would start with IPS and then look at other VR types.

Hopefully our Kendrick veterans will report in detail soon. :D :D

stevew61
Ella

Post by Ella »

Dear Guest,

I think the coast is probably clear by now, so to expand on my earlier post...

....regarding using Bond Verbal Reasoning papers for Kendrick preparation; I wouldn't say NOT to use them, I just feel there are more suitable papers around, eg, NFER, AFN, IPS, The Tutors and Step by Step (although as Steve pointed out, Bond are 'age appropriate' and the others aren't).

As Bond contains something like 40 (or is it 50?) different question types, you may be wasting time practising questions that probably won't come up in the actual test. Having said that, there were AT LEAST two question types in the test on 16 November 2007 that are NOT contained in the standard 'NFER 21 types' (one of which I remember seeing in the Step By Step papers I bought from this site as last minute preparation, but I had NOT seen on any other publisher's papers!). So it may be as well to cover all your bases.

This is just my personal opinion which I don't mind you disregarding should my DD not get in to Kendrick - and, let's face it, the odds are possibly more than 80% that she won't :( :roll: ).

Perhaps Kendrick Mum? could add some valuable expertise (or any one else?).

Ella
Kendrick mum

Kendrick

Post by Kendrick mum »

Dear Guest,

Just to let you know what we used for VR and NVR( as well as NFER) :-

For Verbal Reasoning
Susan Daughtrey VR Technique, Graded Test papers then Bright Sparks Series
VR by Walsh Bk1+2+3
AE Publicatons Spelling and Vocab books series , Verbal R series
First Aid in English Angus Mcgiver
papers AFN IPS

For Non verbal reasoning
AE Publications NVR Techniques Bk 1 + 2
Premium series, bond series

Above is some of the material we used, we were guided by the tutor, but in addition to the above I feel anything that gets them thinking puzzles games etc will stretch their minds. We also did maths as some grammars test this as well especially good if you were based in Reading and wanted to try for the selective stream at Reading girls. We didn't but on reflection may be a good choice in future.
As with Ella I'm afraid the jury is still out - Did we really do the best we could and was it good enough on the day to get a place at Kendrick? we will know on a certain day in March- I'm afraid the actual date has slipped my mind BW.

regards KM?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now