11 days to go!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

denis denis

11 days to go!

Post by denis denis »

Oooh err! Feeling a bit nervous, but I will be glad when it's all over. We're having a last minute push here, did a maths paper yesterday and doing NVR today. Son seems OK with it all. To be honest, my biggest fear is that he starts worrying because he is the worrying sort. We've kept it all quite low key though and hopfully he'll be OK. Cautiously optimistic that he will pass.

Anyone else getting the jitters?
cindy

Post by cindy »

I sure am.

I am going to run through a set of tests today/tomorrow. I do have another set I can do before she goes back?

I feel all I can do now is just make her as familar with the style of test. as best I can....

Good luck to you, keep posting

Cindy
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

wishing them both luck...

it is so close to the beginning of term too, I think the childrendon't feel th pressure that we do though. my 2 and teh children I am nowtutoring remain quite laid back about it..
cindy

Post by cindy »

Thanks yo yo,

Melanie has just done the verbal reasoning NFER familirization.

Her score was 71 out of 85, my Son tells me that's 83per cent right.

:D

Cindyx
denis denis

Post by denis denis »

Thanks yo yo. I think you're right about the pressure, my son isn't feeling it yet and I want to keep it that way. having said that, I wouldn't mind a last minute adrenaline surge from him!

Two weeks today, all his tests will be done and we can then stress until 3 March - oh joy!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'm still waiting for an adrenaline surge from my son and he's in year 10!

:roll:
denis denis

Post by denis denis »

yoyo123 wrote:I'm still waiting for an adrenaline surge from my son and he's in year 10!

:roll:
:lol:
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I felt my daughter's 'drive' dip a bit this close to the exam, so to activate the adrenaline surge, we treated her to something she dearly wanted (a mobile) to reward her for the effort and hard work she has put in and also to remind her that we would like her to carry on just that little bit further.

It worked - she became very motivated. I'm not saying buy them the earth or whatever they want but a little bribe/treat as a token of appreciation of work put in should go a very long way!

Also, we felt that had she not passed, she would still have something to show for the effort she made.
guesttt

Post by guesttt »

Am I alone in worrying that if a child does not do so well at this stage in a practice paper, their confidence will dip? My child was so tired by the end of term, we have not gone over any practice papers since then. The last paper she did was great, but the one before not so great (which has been unusual as she is usually consistently in the late 80's/90's %) and she completely lost her confidence about it all saying she couldn't do it etc. etc. We are trying to play everything down and just want to get it behind us(that goes for us parents as well).

My child is able but prone to doubting herself, but having read these posts I am starting to wonder whether we should attempt a paper and hope for the good result.......she is keen, but I have tried to dissuade her saying she needs a complete break from it all. Any ideas? Thank you.
denis denis

Post by denis denis »

guesttt wrote:Am I alone in worrying that if a child does not do so well at this stage in a practice paper, their confidence will dip? My child was so tired by the end of term, we have not gone over any practice papers since then. The last paper she did was great, but the one before not so great (which has been unusual as she is usually consistently in the late 80's/90's %) and she completely lost her confidence about it all saying she couldn't do it etc. etc. We are trying to play everything down and just want to get it behind us(that goes for us parents as well).

My child is able but prone to doubting herself, but having read these posts I am starting to wonder whether we should attempt a paper and hope for the good result.......she is keen, but I have tried to dissuade her saying she needs a complete break from it all. Any ideas? Thank you.
TO be honest, if my child was scoring as highly as yours, I wouldn't be at all worried! What we've done when my son has had a dip in confidence is sit on the sofa and do a test together, so he is still working them all out, but it's not a test situation. Failing that, could you get her to do a test and then give her a high mark, whatever her real score? I've read about people doing that on here, and it seems to give people a confidence boost, and given that she's scoring 90% ish on past papers, it shouldn't cause a problem?

Good luck whatever you decide!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now