Wait or pay for EHS....helpplease

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest2014

Wait or pay for EHS....helpplease

Post by Guest2014 »

My daughter has not been offered any GS place but when I called I was told that she is number 1 on the waiting list for Sutton Girls'. She also has a place at Edgbaston High School, I need to send them a non-refundable deposit for £400 by next Monday.

What I would like to know is how certain is she of getting a place at Sutton Girls', I don't want to miss out on the place at EHS and find that she has moved lower down the waiting list for SG and end up with neither school!

I am considering posting a cheque to EHS on Wed so any advice is most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

If it helps others: Sutton Girls 215 1st waiting list
KEHS 215 41st waiting list and told there would be some movement downwards.
hermanmunster

Re: Wait or pay for EHS....helpplease

Post by hermanmunster »

why not wait until Sunday and drive over with a cheque ? Maybe something will happen in that time - difficult to know but I think some independent schools are requiring commitments by 4th March ??
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Nobody can say for certain.

The likelihood is that there will be some movement on waiting lists, as some dc choose to go private over state grammar places - but there is the risk that others will enter the waiting list above your daughter, so she could move downwards as well. However, nobody could say that your daughter would certainly get a place.

It would certainly be worth waiting until Monday (and hand deliver the cheque if necessary) to see if anything gets freed up in the next few days - or biting the bullet and accepting the EHS place and writing off the £400 as a whole lot less than what you would have paid, should a place become available at Sutton.

Lol - cross posted with hermanmunster!
Guest2014

Post by Guest2014 »

Yes, I didn't think of waiting until Monday and taking a cheque in!

I suppose what I really want to know is from the experiences of 'long standing' members on this forum does a child who is 1st on the waiting list get a place at GS. I mean is it grounds for optimism?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

if it is any help :wink: there is this post on a thread from last year:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... st#p442862" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

moseleymum wrote:
Elbart wrote:
Interim Status as of 12/05/14:

SCGSG: PAN = 180, Over PAN =0, Waiting List Offers = 38, Revised Cut Off Score = 209
From the other thread, the SCGSG cut off has come down again to 208:
Javed Akhtar wrote:Dear All

I received some good news today. My daughter has managed to get a place in Sutton Coldfield Grammar School for Girl. I am so pleased for her, especially as at one point she was 42nd on the waiting list back in the first week of March 2014. Her mark was 208.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your support, it is greatly appreciated. All the best for the future and God Bless you.

Best Wishes
Javed
"other thread" referred to is http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... iting+list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

I would say it is VERY likely you'll get a place a Sutton girls if you're first on the WL.
Good luck.
Guest2014

Post by Guest2014 »

Thanks for all that info', thanks for taking the time to help!
Jazz-UK

Post by Jazz-UK »

What drives the timing of the independents requesting deposits? Will places get snapped up quickly or are they taking advantage of parents who children didn't get offered a gs place?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

A combination of the above - aided by "feeding the fear" of parents whose children haven't got a place outright - and the fact that the indies are very aware that they will make offers and be rejected by some people who do get a GS place - indies run on fairly tight margins and the nearer we get to Sept, the harder it is to get a bum on a seat and the ££ that is attached to that bottom.

A few years ago, the deposits had to be paid before National Allocation Day which meant that lots of families handed over deposits for a place at a school which they were fairly sure they wouldn't need (if they got their preferred state school/GS if you see what I mean) so at least most indies have now moved to after NAD as that gives them more chance of getting deposits from people who will actually see the place through.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

We will be turning down a place at Sutton Girls in favour of KEHS (I sent the cheque today so no going back) so if you're really no 1 on the waiting list you should get that place! As soon as the letter arrives I'll send it off so hopefully things will move quickly.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now