Sally Anne, (or anyone else in the know) please can you help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Panic.com

Sally Anne, (or anyone else in the know) please can you help

Post by Panic.com »

Ok, so DS put down Chesham as first choice. Passed 11+. We are just over 7 miles from the school in a straight line, just over 9 by car.

I saw the allocation profiles email and saw that OOC places went to 12.3. I asked Sally Anne this morning and she kindly confirmed it looked like we were in. Hurrah... big sigh of relief!

EXCEPT...

At 3ish I get an email from Herts CC saying we had been allocated a herts school that was not on our list and where I absolutely do not want my son to go. Email says you'll have to call the school to find out how rules applied.

So I call CGS and spoke to a very kind lady in admissions and explained the situation and asked why we hadn't got in. She said, "why on earth do you think you have been given X school?!" I explain re the email. She says, very sweetly, after having double checked his name, dob and address, "I can't tell you anything, you have to speak to herts cc, but please don't panic.... I don't think you need to worry. Have a look online tonight and see what it says there."

So I come away from this conversation thinking "ok.... i think you're dropping hints that you think he is in..."

I call Bucks CC and the lady there was also lovely but basically says the same thing... On the face of it we should have a place at CGS, and that the form has definitely been filled in correctly- because by now I'm panicking I've made a mistake! But she can't tell me anything but will get in touch with Herts cc and find out whats going on...

Speak to Herts CC and they were about as useful as a chocolate tea pot. Kept telling me we could appeal or go on CI list.. I explain that I think there has been a mistake as under the rules I can't see why he hasn't been given a place... No real answer, just says if we have made a mistake we will try and accommodate you... He can't see anything on the online portal so can't tell me any more.

So i've just gone onto the online webpage... First page says DS has been given CGS....

But if i click on allocation summary it says he has been allocated school X.

Any ideas??

Of course I will be back on the phone to Herts CC tomorrow. Of course I have been stressed out of my brain all afternoon over this.

Has anyone else ever heard of anything similar? I assume the mistake has been made because we are Herts applying in Bucks?

Thanks so much in advance
Guest55

Re: Sally Anne, (or anyone else in the know) please can you

Post by Guest55 »

Oh poor you - what a nightmare!

It sounds like something has gone wrong at Herts admissions with the CGS offer not registering ...

Fingers crossed you get this sorted asap -
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Oh dear, oh dear - poor you!

I am afraid that we get cases every year where cross-border applications get in a tangle. Some years whole batches of applications go like this, and chocolate teapots abound (although not in Aylesbury, I am pleased to say.)

Firstly, DON'T PANIC (despite your username! :lol: )

Everything you have said suggests that this is purely an administrative mistake by Herts CC. I am sure that it will get sorted out tomorrow.

In the absolute worst case scenario (and it really, really won't come to this), an appeal panel would view your case with the utmost sympathy.

Pour yourself a glass of wine and breathe. I think that this time tomorrow it will all look very different. :D

I am sending you a PM (private message) - an indicator will appear at the top left of your screen.

(X-post with G55.)
Panic.com

Post by Panic.com »

Thank you both so much for your reply.

Trying very hard not to worry too much. Poor DS was upset as I don't know the answer and I'm sure it will be a big topic of conversation tomorrow...

Large glass of wine once they're in bed I think!!!

Thank you so much again
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Another PM coming your way ...
Panic.com

Post by Panic.com »

I'm having real trouble with my PMs....

They keep sitting in my outbox, but aren't actually sending.. I'll keep trying!

- Oh ignore me, I've worked it out! It needs to be read before it moves to sent items, sorry!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Well done! :lol:

I'm chasing homework (a.k.a. my own tail) at present.

I'll be with you shortly!
Panic.com

Post by Panic.com »

Just to update anyone who is interested.

I had a lovely email from the head of admissions at Bucks yesterday saying that their records clearly show he has a place at CGS and that there must have been a problem at the Herts end. Bucks admissions had called Herts after I spoke to them on Monday and they told Bucks that they would contact me yesterday. Guess what... not heard a peep from Herts.

So we are massively relieved to hear that he definitely has a place at CGS and incredibly grateful to the staff at Bucks admissions, who have been kind, helpful and totally on the ball throughout. Wish I could say the same for Herts... Chocolate teapot is a rather more polite version than my current opinion!!

Thanks also to Sally Anne for all of her reassurance and help this week, we are so grateful.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Excellent! I am really pleased for you. :D
drummer

Post by drummer »

Happy to hear it was sorted. There is nothing like this time of year to highlight just how fortunate we are in Bucks to have a very ably and efficiently run schools admissions service.

And no, I don't work for them :lol: :-