Change at the top...

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
gazzag

Change at the top...

Post by gazzag »

We are working towards City of London and ST Albans for our son. Both have had a recent change of Headmaster. Any feedback or anecdotes as to any consequence of the change so far? Or just business as usual.

And if I am not mistaken, the Latymer (North London) Headmaster is leaving at the end of this school year. That's our target state selective.

Quite a coincidence that all of our preferred schools are in a period of change at the top.
Daogroupie

Re: Change at the top...

Post by Daogroupie »

Not to do with the Head but St Albans was far harder to get into this year. Big increase in numbers and lots of boys on the waiting list this year. Latymer is also losing twenty places this year with pupil premium so also harder to get in. Also you have the Redbridge impact that the whole borough has gone just CEM so you will be competing against those who have done lots and lots of CEM prep. You on the other hand are working with two different format exams. I would recommend you focus now entirely on CEM and then leave St Albans and City for October to December. If Latymer is a real first choice for you then you cannot afford to be doing any English Creative Writing and Standard format prep for St Albans and City. DG
gazzag

Post by gazzag »

Thanks Daogroupie. You always have a relevant and helpful contribution.

I'll ask at son's school (traditional prep) about St Albans. Generally about half the yr 8 leavers go to St Albans so it will be interesting to know if anything has changed this year.

Yes, we are concentrating on CEM right now, although not really as much others that I read on here. Timing is a bit difficult with homework commitments, but his school were always very clear that they are all about 13+ so no complaints from me that there is little or no 11+ preparation.

Are you saying that the Latymer Sept 16 intake is going to be down from 186ish to 166ish? Certainly would make it more difficult.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would say that our local preps would be about as much use for CEM as a chocolate teapot!

There is no reason for them to invest in it. It is also a real pain to manage to teach with all these tiddly widdly ten minute sections and then take the paper away and do another ten minute section. As you can tell I am not a fan but it is a necessity so I stick with it!

Yes the number of places available this year at Latymer to non pupil premium applicants is now reduced from 186 to 166. Also as usual some of the places will also go to the music students.

I will be very interested to hear about your prep schools experiences with St Albans this year. I am aware of the results at Manor House and Radlett prep but not at your gaff! DG
gazzag

Post by gazzag »

[quote="Daogroupie"]

I will be very interested to hear about your prep schools experiences with St Albans this year.

What I know at this point is that all of this year's Y8 have got places at their first choice school. I'm not sure how many went for St Albans but one boy, whose first choice is St Albans, achieved highest mark in Science and History papers and has been offered a scholarship.

I believe a couple of Y6 boys have looked for 11+ move and have been offered places at St Albans, one with scholarship. They also both got offers from Habs and both with scholarship.
copella

Post by copella »

Gazzah, yes the head of latymer is changing but I really doubt the school will change that much. It will want to keep its liberal ethos as much as possible and not become a hothouse. Good luck with your prep.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you. Great results! What percentage of students take the eleven plus? Do most wait to do 13 plus? It is interesting that we have so few posts here about the 13 plus. DG
gazzag

Post by gazzag »

Daogroupie wrote:Thank you. Great results! What percentage of students take the eleven plus? Do most wait to do 13 plus? It is interesting that we have so few posts here about the 13 plus. DG
Only feedback from the recent St Albans exams that I can get is the the geography scholarship paper was a shocker. Top mark 70% whereas other subjects are 90%+. Otherwise nothing out of the ordinary. Having said that, I think most boys at the school take the "pre-qualification" exam at the end of yr 6 and get their places "done and dusted" a bit early. I'm told only one boy took the standard (for want of a better term) exam and passed.

Number staying for 13+? I'd say about 66%. Not sure where the 34% end up at 11+. I guess well spread amongst 11+ intake for independents and the three great local state selectives.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Very informative. Thank you. Any idea what the results were like this year for the state selectives? Do they replace the boys who leave? DG
gazzag

Post by gazzag »

DG. Sorry, no idea of how many took state selectives, let alone how many passed. I don't even have a clue as to how many of my son's yr5 group are looking at 11+ independent or state selective.

As for filling spaces, yes, as in any year where there is space. But outside of entry at Reception which is essentially "first come-first served", there is an assessment test for entry at any other year. And I would think more demanding as you go up the years.

Thinking back a few years, I remember the yr8 boy who joined us on our open day tour had joined in yr7.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now