Ranking cut offs for successfully securing place

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Phillip

Ranking cut offs for successfully securing place

Post by Phillip »

Hello my daughter unfortunately did not get her first choice. She was ranked 380 and achieved the pass mark for Ribston but no offer of place. :cry: .i would really appreciate if some of you would share where your daughters were ranked who gained a place, or who didn't so I could gauge the possibility of succeeding at reconsideration or appeal. My first daughter attends Ribston and we were so hoping our second would follow. Hope this is ok first time on here, with many thanks
scaredycat

Re: Ranking cut offs for successfully securing place

Post by scaredycat »

You could contact the school, I just asked the GS we were planning to appeal to. They were quite happy to answer my questions and told me how many were above my DC in the scores and where they had gone down to. I did email rather than telephone because they are very busy and I didn't want to be a nuisance. As it was, we got a response withing minutes every time and the information was very reassuring!
techiedad

Post by techiedad »

Phillip wrote:Hello my daughter unfortunately did not get her first choice. She was ranked 380 and achieved the pass mark for Ribston but no offer of place.
Sorry to hear that she didn't get in. Don't quite understand what you're saying, I didn't think they issued rankings? The letter we had indicated that they had 114 places at Ribston, surely if you'd had a pass letter from Ribston then your daughter would have been within that 114? Here's a copy of part of the e-mail we received: "There are 114 places for Year 7 in September 2015. I am pleased to inform you that your daughter has achieved the qualifying standard and is ranked within the top 114. If you place Ribston Hall High School as your first effective preference on the CAF, the Local Authority should allocate your daughter a place."
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Phillip wrote:Hello my daughter unfortunately did not get her first choice. She was ranked 380 and achieved the pass mark for Ribston but no offer of place. :cry: .i would really appreciate if some of you would share where your daughters were ranked who gained a place, or who didn't so I could gauge the possibility of succeeding at reconsideration or appeal. My first daughter attends Ribston and we were so hoping our second would follow. Hope this is ok first time on here, with many thanks
I would contact the school and see what they say - you might get a place once all the first round allocation replies are in and there is a bit of shuffling around- there may be some who go to indies or have a place but change their mind about moving etc I think there must be about 400 girls GS places across all the schools so you must be close to the cut off. I don't know how they have worked out the top 114 and there not be some who come from the rankings as some will prefer other schools due to logistics never mind anything else.
Last edited by DC17C on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

techiedad wrote:
Phillip wrote:Hello my daughter unfortunately did not get her first choice. She was ranked 380 and achieved the pass mark for Ribston but no offer of place.
Sorry to hear that she didn't get in. Don't quite understand what you're saying, I didn't think they issued rankings? The letter we had indicated that they had 114 places at Ribston, surely if you'd had a pass letter from Ribston then your daughter would have been within that 114? Here's a copy of part of the e-mail we received: "There are 114 places for Year 7 in September 2015. I am pleased to inform you that your daughter has achieved the qualifying standard and is ranked within the top 114. If you place Ribston Hall High School as your first effective preference on the CAF, the Local Authority should allocate your daughter a place."
There were 3 kinds of letter:

a) Your daughter is within the top 114
b) Your daughter is ranked 380 (or whatever) and in the last 4 years we have gone down the rankings to these numbers
c) Your daughter didn't qualify

They have to tell more than 114 people that they've qualified, because most of those 114 will have ticked for other GS and qualified for them too. So if you're ranked 120, then you may not have a guaranteed place, but actually you can be certain you'll get one, whereas if you're down at 380 it's trickier. So that's why Phillip wants to know how far down the rankings they actually gave places to. HTH.
Last edited by DebsB on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tabbycat

Post by tabbycat »

Hello Phillip

I think your dd is very close, I know Ribston took at least till 345! I don't know the exact ranking they took till but I think it is definitely worth going on the waiting list. Best of luck!
JES

Post by JES »

My daughter was 352 and she got in!

Best of luck.
Phillip

Post by Phillip »

Thank you all so much for the replys, we are just so worried our e mail stated that she had reached the qualifying score but was ranked 380. I am just trying to judge if it's a possibility still. Bearing in mind some will go to other schools and some will not want the offer etc..... It just seems so very complicated and I can't seem to get to grips with the numbers. I have taken all your advice contacted school etc it's great to read all your help thank you
MooMoosMum

Post by MooMoosMum »

The last ranking to get a Ribston place was 279.
Phillip

Post by Phillip »

Hi did you mean 379 ?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now