Medway appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Headache

Medway appeals

Post by Headache »

My daughter missed the pass score by 22 points, we went for review but headmistress wouldnt support so review was declined. She is sitting the Kent test next week. Assuming she were to pass, does anyone know whether we could use a Kent pass to appeal to a Medway grammar school? Our first choice on the list was Roch Grammar and our second choice was Invicta Grammer(which is a kent school).
blondie

Medway Appeals

Post by blondie »

As far as i am aware, you can't use a Kent score in order to appeal to attend a Medway school. They are regarded as completely separate. Particularly as Rochester Grammar is a super selective school and the main criteria is pass mark.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Dear Headache, yes Blondie is correct. You cannot use a possible pass in the Kent test to appeal for RGS (or any Medway school).
However you say the review was declined - I am assuming this means you reviewed anyway without the schools support. If this is the case then come allocation day (mar 3) you can still appeal for any school which was on you CAF form.
I understand that you must have gone through review though to appeal.
Good luck to your daughter for the imminent Kent test. 22 points less is not a great deal - was it any one subject she was lower in or generally across the board? What was the reason for your school not being supportive?
MM
Headache

Post by Headache »

Hi Medwaymum, yes we went for a review, didnt have school support. Headmistress said that she thought my daughter was more suited to a comprehensive. Her school reports have always been satisfactory with 4c's and 4b's. Headmistress said she lacked confidence. We knew that without school support review would be declined, but know that in order to go for an appeal the review stage was necessary. Thanks for the support. We have our fingers crossed for Kent test - shame we have to wait such a long time for results.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Hi Medwaymum, forgot to reply to your other question: her weaker subject was maths but only buy a few points. We are confident with the extra work we have done over the recent weeks (xmas included - poor thing) that her maths has improved.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Headache - I wish the best of luck. You have identified the weaker area and it sounds like you have targeted it. You have done everything you can do (including the review) so don't lose heart now.

Let us know how your DD gets on.
Headache

Post by Headache »

I will. Thanks again. :)
Headache

Post by Headache »

Hi there, good news, my daughter passed the kent test and has been offered her second choice kent grammar school. We are obviously thrilled, but knowing that she is now 'deemed selective' albeit by Kent, rather than Medway - is worth appealing for our first choice medway school? I understand they are separate - any views welcome. As mentioned above she didnt pass the medway test. We are geographically closer the the medway school. :)
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Headache what great news! Well done to your daughter on passing the Kent test! With regards to the Medway appeal, there is conflicting advice here on the forum at the moment and i honestly am not sure myself what the procedure is.
Let me explain - we were all under the impression that to appeal for Medway after allocation day you had to have gone through review first. Now it seems things may have changed and this is being questioned. If you have been declined on review you may not appeal unless the guidelines were not followed during the review process.
I think to be sure you need to ring Medway admissions and ask their advice, or possibly even your primary head although i would still ring Admissions (or email them) for their advice.
Good luck with your decision, but I am glad your dd got her second choice grammar. :)
Headache

Post by Headache »

Thanks Medwaymum, I will look into it and let you know. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now