Reassurance

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nell

Reassurance

Post by nell »

I guess what I'm really after is reassurance. Here goes . I have a large family all of whom are at the same independent secondary school having taken entrance exams in VR NVR English and Maths. We have been told by the headmasteer that they are already all a credit to the school which is fantastic and I'm fairly sure that they are lookingf forward to having the last one next year. He will be taking the exam in three weeks time and I am so worried that he will not get in. He was an extremely late reader and this has impacted hugely on the rest of his learning. His reading is fluent now but comprehension skills are weak and he is moderately dyslexic.HE cores highly in the NVR tests and about 70% average in the VR tests. He is , however, an excellent sportsman and a great kid (of course I would say that wouldn't I!)

The school gives a fantastic all round education which we feel he would really benefit from and we also feel that while he'll never be at the top of the class, he could cope with the curriculum. Before the other children were at the school, we explained to the then bursar about our concerns. Whilst explaining that the entrance procedure was not entirely dependent on success in the exams ,(i.e interview, school reports etc. also important) he did make it clear that a minimum academic standard must be reached.

Does anyone think it likely that they would turn him down based on his academic performance? Given that the other kids are there and doing well?
It is a popular school with double the applicants to places and we know of kids who didn't get in last year. Are we worrying unncessarily or is it a real possibility. Any reassurance would be greatly appreciated!!!
chad

Post by chad »

HI Nell,
It must be a worrying time for you.....my gut feeling is that as long as your youngest reaches 'a certain level' then the school will look favourably on him. Your family is already a 'credit' to the school and, with the entrance criteria not exclusively down to academic tests, i would say you have a better than average chance of getting in.
As you know there are no certainties in this world so the better your son can do in the exams (even if it is not a good as many) then the higher his chances.
Nothing will stop you worrying though :wink:
stevew61

Re: Reassurance

Post by stevew61 »

nell wrote:minimum academic standard must be reached.!!!
Hi Nell,

From what you have said I am sure your boy far exceeds the minimum academic standard. All the other factors are in his favour especially the
strong family connection to the school.

Don't worry about two applicants for every place, that's a bit of marketing most parents apply to several schools.

If they can the school will prefer to offer your son a place. Good luck.

stevew61
cam

Post by cam »

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. The school obviously know and welcome your family and unless you were after a scholarship why on earth would they reject your family and all the income it represents to them. I think the cards are in your hands, you might, after all, have to move all your children to another school for practical purposes if they don't accept the youngest!!
Relax, practice a few papers and emphasis his sporting prowess.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I agree with what everyone else has said.
I think you have little to worry adout Nell.
One independent school I spoke with, when I was enquiring about bursaries, actually told me that they are loathe to be too transparent about their criteria for how they give them because they may end up being unable to help a family whose child they really want, and may end up having to help a family whose child they do not want!
Assume from this that most schools are flexible, particularly if they KNOW you!!
nell

Post by nell »

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE. I AM FEELING BETTER ALREADY!! I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS. :?
nell

Post by nell »

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE. I AM FEELING BETTER ALREADY!! I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS. :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now