PGL adventure holidays

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gazzag

PGL adventure holidays

Post by gazzag »

Any direct experience of multi activity holidays with PGL? They seem to have been around for years. Only know one person who has been and they gave a recommend.
Yamin151

Re: PGL adventure holidays

Post by Yamin151 »

Definitely!
I went on one as a tween, loved it, adventure weekend with teachers etc. My boys did that too and loved it, great bonding in year 6.
I also went as a 15 year old. Again, great fun with more grown up entertainment and a real good laugh, and suitably more challenging.
Friend of mine did a really good value week in UK with them last year, £600 for 3 of them food and activities included! In a private room too! They also said it was fab to go as a family.
KB

Post by KB »

Know an only child who went on them many times until quite recently - loved it!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

My 2 have been to Liddington, Winmarleigh Hall and Boreatton Park....they seemed to enjoy them all ..usually the first thing they do when I pick them up is talk about what they want to do next year. DS ' s school ski trip is with PGL too
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

DD, and when DS was in Y6, have their Y6 trip with PGL to France and she can't wait and he really enjoyed it. I also know several Brownie leaders who use them for pack holidays and know that the girls really enjoy themselves.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Have been twice with school, loved it, and so did the children. Very well organised and staff are friendly but professional. Safety is paramount. Ii thoroughly recommend it. Last year we had one child who loved it so much that the family booked a weekend at the same venue for the child's birthday.
gazzag

Post by gazzag »

Thanks for all of your comments. I had already booked a week for my son at Marchants Hill, Surrey. Not sure what I would have done if all your experiences were bad.

Anyway, my son is really excited and I'm really excited for him. Your comments will help persuade my wife, who, like many mums, can't quite come to terms that she'll be without her boy for a week.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

We sent ours of to a watersports holiday with PGL, had the time of his life..
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

He will love it! My dd went on a Year 6 final trip there for one week and had a fab time. My ds is going in the summer and can't wait. Dd reported that they felt safe at all times and weren't pushed into anything they didn't want to. She bottled it on a zip wire (something I don't anticipate my ds will do!) and it was handled very well so she didn't feel a wimp bless her.

Also, during the summer they both go on a one week residential camp which is the highlight of the holiday. I can understand how your wife feels as we were exactly the same. It has however done them the power of good being away from the comfy surrounds of home and having to be a little bit more independent. They hand their phones in at the beginning of the week which really worried me the first time as no contact at all was a bit worrying. They work on the principle that if the kids can just pick up the phone it's easy for them to become homesick, and it is absolutely true. Hard for us at home, but nice for them to have a week without their electronic baby crying. It's also nice to have a bit of "grown up" time. We went away to a hotel for a couple of nights and didn't have to worry about the "I'm bored" moans, and we sat outside a beer garden and soaked up the sun.

All in all it is very healthy for them to get away for a bit - she will worry, but he will have a great time.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Looks like I am the only negative. DD went with the Brownies and I think she was just too young (trip was combined with Guides) or just didn't know the people with her well enough. She had a miserable weekend and almost every activity revolved around heights which she does not handle well. I really regret sending her on that trip as it has coloured her perception of PGL to the point where she wouldn't consider going on one again independently - she wasn't happy when she heard that the school residentials are PGL. She did enjoy the yr 7 trip a lot more but is unsure about the yr 9 one as, again, much of the promo material centres around height related activities. At least she will be with good friends this time round.
I had uni friends who had finished off A levels with a PGL trip down the Ardeche canoeing and the like. They had a ball.