Do We Stay on the Waiting List or Not?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MrsR

Do We Stay on the Waiting List or Not?

Post by MrsR »

My daughter has been offered a place at Burnham Grammar which we are delighted with. The meeting for new students and parents is on 19th March which is three days after the deadline for people to accept their places. Becky High was number one on our list but it feels ashame to go through part of the induction process and then change schools. If we stay on the waiting list for Becky High, we wouldn't get an offer (if we even ever get an offer) as early 19th March would we? I feel as if I ought to leave her on the waiting list until we have been through the first meeting at Burnham just in case something happens and she doesn't like the thought of going there (which I am sure won't happen but you never know with 10 year olds)! Any advice would be much appreciated as I have a very mixed up and emotional child tonight. :(
Guest55

Re: Do We Stay on the Waiting List or Not?

Post by Guest55 »

The induction day for students is usually in July ... there is one date across the LA.

If you want Becky High then accept BGS and stay on the waiting list.
MrsR

Post by MrsR »

There is a meeting for prospective parents and students on 19th March at Burnham. It will seem sad to sit through that and have another look around and chat to teachers and then not go there I feel? Am I thinking too much?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Stay on the waiting list and see how you feel after the meeting.

The school's are very different - think about which one suits your daughter better.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

I agree with G55, try not to over think, decide which is best for your daughter. Remember wherever she goes she will do well with your support. Dollyx
MrsR

Post by MrsR »

Thank you for your reply. This is my problem - I can see her at both and like aspects of both even though they are totally different. it is not easy, is it... :?
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Well that's good isn't it? At least you like both options. Go with the easier journey and local friends . Is burnham co-ed? I think so? If I had had the choice I would have preferred a co-ed ( although DD wanted BHS) . I feel it's more like the real world, in the end we do have to work together. I also wen to a single sex school and the cattiness is sometimes quite hard to deal with. Dollyx
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Forgot to add, does she have any friends going to burnham ? Or Becky high? Which one does she really prefer? Ease of journey is also very important. My daughter fell in love with Becky high on the open evening, she liked WHS but preferred BHS, her 2 friends were also going to BHS which probably helped her decision . She did say the other day she was so glad she got BHS but would have been happy with WHS too. Keep talking to her and ask what she prefers. My friend son is going to burnham, she was in a quandary as she loved John Hamden , however in the end most of his friends were going to burnham and she thought the journey would be too much as he loves sport and thought it would be difficult if he had after school clubs etc. dollyx
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

MrsR wrote:Thank you for your reply. This is my problem - I can see her at both and like aspects of both even though they are totally different. it is not easy, is it... :?
Where do you live? We live walking distance from BGS, bus to BHS (25 mins approx). DD1 got BHS as our first choice - which is great - she is in Y10 now - but - we have friends all over the place and some are a long way away - so a trip out to collect can easily be over an hour round trip. And after school activities also entail a trip as there is no public bus.

I would consider - friends, transport, distance - and give her a strong say in it.

Good luck x
MrsR

Post by MrsR »

You are all so helpful.

We live in Ruislip so journeys - she could get the train from West Ruislip to Beaconsfield to get to BHS or she could get the train from Hayes (where I work) to Burnham to get to BGS. I believe there is also a bus which goes from Hillingdon station to BHS but I am not 100% sure on that. I am also happy to drive to either as it a nice drive going against the London traffic.

So far as friends go - her best friend also has a place at BGS with BHS as a higher priority. I believe they are marginally closer distance wise that us so potentially the friend *could* get a place at BHS and not my daughter.

She cried herself to sleep last night thinking about what to do. I tried to explain that she needs to do what is right for her and if it works out that she ends up with her friend then that would be wonderful, but as things stand, I can't guarantee it. I also called admissions this morning who said that no offers will be made by 19th March so we can go along to the meeting safe in the knowledge that we won't have lost the BGS place at that point which offers some re-assurance. I wish she could see what a lucky girl she is to be in such a position.