In Year appeal for year 8 Glos

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

imustbecrazy

In Year appeal for year 8 Glos

Post by imustbecrazy »

I would appreciate any advice before I start the appeals process for my DD. We were unsuccessful at appeal last summer for SHS in Glos, (I think they hear around 40 appeals and around 9 were successful). Before I call our desired schools, I'd appreciate any info on what to expect and where to start. I decided to home educated DD this year as she was so upset at allocated school. We've done really well, she's working at a high standard (although it's not always easy to compare where her peers are at).
What are the typical in year tests usually made up of? How would I approach this appeal differently to a year 7 appeal?
hermanmunster

Re: In Year appeal for year 8 Glos

Post by hermanmunster »

cup of tea gives some info here: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 45#p453860" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

How would I approach this appeal differently to a year 7 appeal?
There isn't really any difference between Y7 and Y8 appeals as far as the process is concerned.

(Infant class size appeals and sixth form appeals are different!)
Etienne
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

imustbecrazy wrote:I would appreciate any advice before I start the appeals process for my DD. We were unsuccessful at appeal last summer for SHS in Glos, (I think they hear around 40 appeals and around 9 were successful). Before I call our desired schools, I'd appreciate any info on what to expect and where to start. I decided to home educated DD this year as she was so upset at allocated school. We've done really well, she's working at a high standard (although it's not always easy to compare where her peers are at).
What are the typical in year tests usually made up of? How would I approach this appeal differently to a year 7 appeal?
Each school will be different, but they will usually test on English, Maths and Science from the work that is being completed by the majority of the year group. (So if you know a good friend in the school you want, could you ask them what topics have been covered?)
I don't think you need to 'appeal' in the first instance. You need to phone each school and ask if there are any spaces available in Year 8(?). If there are, the school should offer you a testing date. (In which you do your Eng/Ma/Sci). There is no interview. The students are usually buddied with a few girls from the year at break and lunchtime so they also get a flavour of the school. The tests are marked in school and within a couple of weeks you are told the result.

One good point to remember is the financial armageddon facing most schools (especially GS) as funding is being cut yet again. So, this stands in your favour as all GS's will try and accommodate as many students as possible in each year.
Good luck :D
NancyB

Post by NancyB »

Hi, IMBC,

Did your daughter pass the exam in the first place (your appeal was on grounds of oversubscription) or not (the appeal was against non-qualification & oversubscription)?

If the former, did you keep your daughter on the waiting list after the appeals were heard?
Cup of tea wrote:I don't think you need to 'appeal' in the first instance.
you can only have a second appeal like that if there's been a major change of circumstances - appealing still against the original decision. What you need to do is apply for a place again for your daughter, then if one isn't offered, you can appeal against this new decision.
One good point to remember is the financial armageddon facing most schools (especially GS) as funding is being cut yet again. So, this stands in your favour as all GS's will try and accommodate as many students as possible in each year.
This may or may not apply. Some grammars use a work-around in the admissions code where for Y8 & up they can 'top up' from the waiting list to a level they feel they can accommodate. So a school with a PAN of 112 might actually be able to fit 30- in each class, so tops up to 120. They have to take from the top of the waiting list, of course, which itself can shrink and grow as children move into the area.

My advice - have a chat with the person who deals with admissions at the school.
imustbecrazy

Post by imustbecrazy »

Thank you all for your replies. Unfortunately DD missed passing 1st time round by 2 marks! She obtained all level 5 sats and level 6 maths! Her best friend is at Pates and we make sure she's working at same level, (sometimes we are ahead and sometimes her friend is, so quite equal). However, Pates isn't desired school!
I spoke to desired school on Friday, we've been advised she can either sit a verbal reasoning test (like the original test) in the summer or wait til september to take a maths and English test. I almost got the feeling that this sounded more promising! Now not sure what to choose. Haven't looked at verbal reasoning since 2013 and her maths and English are at a high level! Any advice?
I am fortunate that home schooling has really suited her, we work at a fast and very thorough pace, but I'm not really sure I want to do it for the long run!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now